Another wave of protests has erupted in Greece as the government cannot seem to please the people or the eurozone finance ministers.
There were angry scenes in Athens on Friday as protesters threw missiles at police during the first day of another general strike – this time for 48 hours.
The coalition government thought it had made an deal with the troika of IMF and EU negotiators that would allow the release of the 130 billion euro rescue package.
However, the administration’s agreement to austerity measures that would reduce the minimum wage, pensions and cut public sector jobs is not enough.
People already fed up may have to brace themselves for even harsher austerity as the troika demand Greece find a further 325 million euros in savings.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 17:12 CET Fresh U.S. sanctions show Washington is deepening confrontation -…
- 17:07 CET Uganda’s former PM to run as independent candidate in presidential…
- 17:07 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 16:33 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 16:04 CET IAEA chief ‘positively’ mulling U.S. Senate invite to speak on Iran
- 15:27 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…