A fresh attempt to salvage the stricken Costa Concordia is expected to be made on Friday.
Bad weather has hampered efforts to remove thousands of tonnes of fuel from the hulk of the cruise liner which ran aground last month, killing at least 17 people.
Italian officials, however, say they probably will not be able to move the wreck for up to seven months.
“We estimate it’s going to take between seven and ten months, seven to break up the ship and ten for its removal,” said Franco Gabrielli, head of Italy’s Civil Protection Authority.
Last week, authorities ended the search for more bodies on the ship. At least 15 people are still unaccounted for.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.