European figures have been commemorating the 20th anniversary of the signing of the Maastricht Treaty, which led to the creation of the euro, in spite of many questions stemming from it with a bearing on the current debt crisis and the situation in Greece.
A former advisor to the German government attending the event in Brussels suggested there had been unfortunate oversights.
Joachim Bitterlich said: “We need to do something about sovereign debt. For years we underestimated debt’s role in the crisis. More jobs and growth are necessary for the eurozone economy and we need to consider this.”
The main criteria of European Monetary Union governed inflation rates, annual allowable government deficits, debts, exchange rates and long-term interest rates. This was to keep prices stable in the eurozone even as it grew. But today’s realities have raised doubts about the criteria.
Bitterlich said: “The weakness of Maastricht is due to the well-known debate between France and Germany about economic governance.”
France eventually called for a “clearly identified economic government” for the eurozone, but Germany opposed the proposals.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand