Thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes after a week of heavy rain in eastern Australia.
Emergency supplies are being flown into the affected areas.
Two of the worst-hit towns are Mitchell in Queensland and Moree in New South Wales.
At least 10,000 people have been left stranded by the flooding.
In New South Wales officials believe the worst is over for those living in the rural areas around the Mehi river.
“Higher floodwaters would cause us far more problems. So, if it’s peaked now, then that’s a cause for starting to look about how quickly these waters will recede and what we can do to help the community recover,” said Dieter Gescke, deputy commissioner for operations at the New South Wales state emergency service.
But forecasters say that a severe weather warning remains in place in some parts of Queensland.
The bad weather is expected to move west towards the inland town of Charleville on Saturday where there are fears of further flooding.
Queensland and New South Wales were hit by flash floods early last year which killed 35 people and damaged crops and infrastructure.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.