Hundreds of passengers have been stranded by the demise of Hungary’s debt-ridden national airline.
Malev ceased operating after its planes were held overseas for unpaid debts. Its grounding marks the end of 66 years of almost continuous service.
Those stuck at Budapest Airport and elsewhere are at the end of their tethers, wondering how they are going to get from A to B.
“They gave us this certificate that is supposed to refund the money but we don’t know because this girl doesn’t know exactly what is going to happen either,” said Spanish passenger Pedro Fernandez.
“I am sorry but I have paid for my tickets,” said one exasperated woman, seeking information from an official in the Hungarian capital’s airport.
“I have got to go somewhere. Find me someone quickly!”
Despite the airline’s well known financial troubles, travellers said they were still taken by surprise. Some were worried about the broader implications.
“I think this hurts the whole image of Hungary,” said Hungarian passenger Laszlo Kozma. “If I am not mistaken, Malev is more than 66 years old. This has never happened before and then suddenly it happened within days.”
Hot on the heels of Spanair’s collapse in Spain, Malev, employing 2,600 people, simply ran out of cash. Last month the EU said the carrier has to pay back 130 million euros of state aid it had received.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Blame game as the migrant Calais crisis deepens
Chile man survives ‘17th floor’ balcony fall
Hermès investigates crocodile farm cruelty claims but denies Birkin bag link
Wires > News
- 08:00 CET Malaysia says almost certain debris discovered is from a Boeing 777
- 07:49 CET Israel authorises force-feeding of hunger-striking prisoners
- 07:32 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty -…
- 07:29 CET Taliban capture district in Afghanistan’s Helmand province
- 07:20 CET Officials study plane debris found off Madagascar for links to…
- 06:51 CET Nepal landslide kills 15 people, death toll may rise: ministry
- 05:39 CET China watchdog says graft risk controls tightened at central bank
- 04:27 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion