Hundreds of passengers have been stranded by the demise of Hungary’s debt-ridden national airline.
Malev ceased operating after its planes were held overseas for unpaid debts. Its grounding marks the end of 66 years of almost continuous service.
Those stuck at Budapest Airport and elsewhere are at the end of their tethers, wondering how they are going to get from A to B.
“They gave us this certificate that is supposed to refund the money but we don’t know because this girl doesn’t know exactly what is going to happen either,” said Spanish passenger Pedro Fernandez.
“I am sorry but I have paid for my tickets,” said one exasperated woman, seeking information from an official in the Hungarian capital’s airport.
“I have got to go somewhere. Find me someone quickly!”
Despite the airline’s well known financial troubles, travellers said they were still taken by surprise. Some were worried about the broader implications.
“I think this hurts the whole image of Hungary,” said Hungarian passenger Laszlo Kozma. “If I am not mistaken, Malev is more than 66 years old. This has never happened before and then suddenly it happened within days.”
Hot on the heels of Spanair’s collapse in Spain, Malev, employing 2,600 people, simply ran out of cash. Last month the EU said the carrier has to pay back 130 million euros of state aid it had received.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 4Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Wires > News
- 04:40 CET Peru’s Congress boosts state energy firm in populist turn
- 04:02 CET Sinai blasts injure six peacekeepers, including four Americans -…
- 03:50 CET Chinese ships headed home after Bering Sea sighting – U.S. Navy
- 01:54 CET Guatemala’s president quits, jailed on corruption charges
- 23:30 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 22:32 CET U.N. experts accuse Chad of abuses in Central Africa conflict
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…