For lovers of vintage cars and motorbikes the Rétromobile event in Paris is nothing short of paradise.
Now in its 37th year, this year’s event has attracted more than 350 exhibitors who have brought their lovingly-maintained and – in some cases – eyewateringly expensive vehicles.
Rétromobile director François Melcion told euronews: “This year the stars of Rétromobile are, first of all, the Peter Mullin Collection, which comes from Los Angeles with 10 French cars with French bodywork. We wanted to give a “triple A” at Rétromobile by presenting all French products. We also have automobile dealers, who, themselves, brought a lot of cars for sale, unique cars; there is a sort of race between the sales people, to see who will bring the most beautiful car. Rétromobile is a place where, even if you do not like cars, there are things to see, there is a nostalgia that will resurface.”
Shipped from the United States, there are 10 vintage cars - virtual sculptures on wheels – from Peter Mullin’s collection. He is an American entrepreneur with a passion for French cars, mainly from the Art Deco era.
He told us: “I love French cars because in my opinion the French, particularly before the war, made the absolute ultimate cars for performance, for design, for engineering, and for rolling sculpture. So, as soon as I saw those early French cars, I was hooked and I didn’t think that anything was more beautiful”.
Some 90,000 people are expected to visit the five-day exhibition; some to look, some to buy. More than 80 cars and bikes will be up for auction.
Matthieu Lamoure, director of local auction house Artcurial Motorcars, gave us a rundown: “The most expensive car is obviously the Ferrari 250 GT California convertible, built in 1959 and owned by Roger Vadim. A great car, only 47 of them were built. A car that lived the time of the “new wave” with Brigitte Bardot, Annette Stroyberg, Jean Paul Belmondo, Alain Delon. At that time everyone wanted to own a California: Johnny Halliday, he had one, Alain Delon, he had one, all the stars of the jet set of the time. This car is the star of the sale, so we have estimated it at around three million.
“We also have the 1989 Ferrari F40 owned by Nigel Mansell. This car was a gift from Enzo Ferrari to Nigel Mansell, who sold it on very quickly. We have pre-war cars such as the Delaunay-Belleville, a car that was more prestigious than Rolls Royce at the time, which has belonged to the same family since 1918, almost a century, the Michelin family, who were behind the Michelin company.”
Euronews reporter in Paris, Giovanni Magi summed it up: “Rétromobile is the event for vintage car and motorcycles enthusiasts, for those who are in search of rare spare parts and for connoisseurs who are ready to spend a fortune, if they can afford it, to realise their dreams.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news