European leaders arrived in Brussels on Monday for a key summit which they said would help bring about a return to growth but which economists predicted would mean more austerity.
Leaders were due to sign off on a 500 billion euro permanent rescue fund for the eurozone while agreeing to strict new rules to ensure EU nations managed balanced budgets.
Arriving for the meeting, German Chancellor Angela Merkel called on the EU to help Greece to achieve the budget targets they have been set.
Danish Prime Minister Elle Thorning-Schmidt, who’s country has the six month rotating EU Presidency, said economic growth and not just the debt crisis, was on the agenda.
“It is very important that we have a new discipline in our economies and second, we need to discuss growth and jobs in Europe,” said Thorning-Schmidt.
While an estimated 20 billion euros has been set aside for job creation, some MEPs think the real answer lies in better cooperation.
“If we want to solve the euro crisis we need to tackle the problem of solidarity, how we can mutualise the debt and how we can lower interest rates,” said Guy Verhofstaft, MEP from the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats in Europe.
The European Stability Mechanism was due to be signed, the 500 billion euro permanent bailout fund that could be operational as early as July.
Meanwhile a ‘fiscal compact’ will ensure nations manage their budgets effectively.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison
- 23:47 CET Exclusive – Pentagon chief sends military wish lists to Congress…
- 22:22 CET Crash pilot had been treated for suicidal tendencies
- 22:17 CET Red Cross driver killed in north Mali attack
- 22:04 CET Rogue Catholic bishops plan to grow schismatic challenge to Rome
- 21:47 CET Mentally ill British man pleads guilty to U.S. terrorism charges
- 20:12 CET Sollecito may seek compensation after Kercher murder acquittals