There have been protests in Austria against an annual ball attended by European far-right leaders – which this year coincides with Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Heinz-Christian Strache of the Freedom Party of Austria (FPO) had invited others who fall under the umbrella of the eurosceptic European Alliance for Freedom, such as French National Front leader and presidential candidate Marine Le Pen.
“There are no extremists attending the ball contrary to certain allegations. That’s rabble-rousing which is harming the dignity of the ball guests,” he said.
Kept away by police, thousands of protesters objected to the date of the event. The ball took place at Vienna’s imperial Hofburg palace – just a few hundred metres from a Holocaust commemoration ceremony.
“I find this is wrong because today is the liberation day of Auschwitz. And I think it’s impudent that the right wing groups chose this day to celebrate,” said protester Michael Wolfram.
The organisers said the ball was always held on the last Friday in January.
This is the last year it took place at the Hofburg palace: under pressure from unions and the left, its management has terminated the contract for the event.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 2Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 3Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 4“Jihadi John” identified as Kuwaiti-born Briton Mohammed Emwazi
- 5Russia’s Gazprom excludes rebel-held areas from Ukraine’s gas contract
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 14New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 05:33 CET Lesotho prepares for early vote in bid to ease political crisis
- 05:30 CET Hong Kong woman jailed for six years for abusing Indonesian maid
- 04:32 CET Missing Canadian teens believed headed to fight with Islamic…
- 03:53 CET Quebec judge denies woman hearing until hijab removed – CBC
- 02:54 CET Libya needs international maritime force to help stop illicit oil…
- 02:12 CET Argentine judge says no evidence government tried to derail…
- 01:27 CET ‘Jihadi John’ from Islamic State beheading videos unmasked as…
- 22:54 CET Saudi ambassador moves to Aden from Houthi-controlled capital -…