28/01/12 03:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There have been protests in Austria against an annual ball attended by European far-right leaders – which this year coincides with Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Heinz-Christian Strache of the Freedom Party of Austria (FPO) had invited others who fall under the umbrella of the eurosceptic European Alliance for Freedom, such as French National Front leader and presidential candidate Marine Le Pen.
“There are no extremists attending the ball contrary to certain allegations. That’s rabble-rousing which is harming the dignity of the ball guests,” he said.
Kept away by police, thousands of protesters objected to the date of the event. The ball took place at Vienna’s imperial Hofburg palace – just a few hundred metres from a Holocaust commemoration ceremony.
“I find this is wrong because today is the liberation day of Auschwitz. And I think it’s impudent that the right wing groups chose this day to celebrate,” said protester Michael Wolfram.
The organisers said the ball was always held on the last Friday in January.
This is the last year it took place at the Hofburg palace: under pressure from unions and the left, its management has terminated the contract for the event.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…