Symbols of corruption and opulence in the final years of communism in Romania have been put up for auction. The list includes trinkets and lavish gifts given to the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu before his overthrow in 1989.
The auction is billed the ‘Golden Age’, in reference to how communist officials tried to portray what was an era of abject poverty for most Romanians.
Auctioneer Mihael Stomff said: “It’s an age in Romania’s history that cannot be passed over and go unnoticed. We all passed through it, we all lived it and it’s normal to try to remember it as a stage in Romania’s development.”
A bronze yak, presented to Ceausescu by China’s Mao Tse Tung and a collection of silver doves – a gift from the Shah of Iran – were among the items due to go under the hammer in Bucharest.
Ceausescu was soon to suffer an even harsher fate than the ousted Shah, who died in exile.
The Romanian leader’s life of luxury came to an abrupt and violent end when he was driven from power and executed on Christmas Day in 1989.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Spread of Ebola virus sees parts of West Africa placed under quarantine
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…