Symbols of corruption and opulence in the final years of communism in Romania have been put up for auction. The list includes trinkets and lavish gifts given to the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu before his overthrow in 1989.
The auction is billed the ‘Golden Age’, in reference to how communist officials tried to portray what was an era of abject poverty for most Romanians.
Auctioneer Mihael Stomff said: “It’s an age in Romania’s history that cannot be passed over and go unnoticed. We all passed through it, we all lived it and it’s normal to try to remember it as a stage in Romania’s development.”
A bronze yak, presented to Ceausescu by China’s Mao Tse Tung and a collection of silver doves – a gift from the Shah of Iran – were among the items due to go under the hammer in Bucharest.
Ceausescu was soon to suffer an even harsher fate than the ousted Shah, who died in exile.
The Romanian leader’s life of luxury came to an abrupt and violent end when he was driven from power and executed on Christmas Day in 1989.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:56 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker