Kenyan survivors of the 2007 post election violence which left over a thousand people dead watched in ernest the televised announcement that someone at last will stand trial.
The International Criminal Court at the Hague has indicted four prominent Kenyans including two who are standing in next year’s presidential election.
They are all charged with crimes against humanity.
Survivor of the 2007 violence, Anne Kandie said:
“I have waited for this for a very long time because I was terribly hurt by what happened, I had to see my rights recognised because if there was no case then my rights would have been trampled on.”
Human Rights Activist Ken Wafula gave his view:
“Full justice will only be attained if the four of them get convicted, a local tribunal should be established to deal with those who burnt people’s houses or killed their relatives.”
The presidential campaigns of Fiance Minister Uhruru Kenyatta, son of Kenya’s founding president, along with former minister William Ruto are now in doubt. All four of the indicted deny the accusations.
In 2007 following a disputed election ferocious intercommunal violence erupted. Some 600,000 people were forced to flee their homes.
The accused are said to have helped organise the rampaging militias.
But while many welcome the court’s move others fear it might provoke renewed violence in tribally split Kenya.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2German interior minister criticises lack of appreciation from some refugees
- 3ISIL operations centre in Idlib, Syria ‘destroyed’ by Russian airstrike
- 4Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 5Russian action ‘resets chessboard in Syria,’ says analyst
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Thousands attend funeral ceremony in Tehran for Hajj crush victims
Flash floods in France leave a trail of death and destruction
#inondations: French president visits flood-hit region
Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
Palestinians barred from visiting Jerusalem’s Old City amid tension
Wires > News
- 18:39 CET About 300 people still missing after Guatemala landslide
- 18:21 CET Pro-Moscow Social Democrats lead in Kyrgyz parliamentary election
- 18:14 CET Death toll in French Riviera floods rises to at least 16, natural…
- 18:11 CET Middle East would be more stable if Saddam, Gaddafi still in power…
- 17:56 CET Greek coast guard recovers body of migrant baby on Kos
- 16:41 CET Argentine ruling party extends presidential vote lead – poll
- 16:14 CET Russian cannot fight Islamic State and support Assad in Syria -…
- 15:44 CET EU and Turkey have struck plan to stem flow of migrants – newspaper