The European Commission has said it wants to support e-commerce and online businesses more.
Latest studies show the Internet creates 2.6 jobs for every one it helps destroy.
Speaking at the ‘‘Single Market Opportunity 2012’‘ in Brussels, EU Industry Commissioner Antonio Tajani said: “If we want to win the battle against the economic crisis, it’s clear we must fight debt, but at the same time, it’s necessary to work towards growth. Company competitiveness is essential and at the heart of that is technology.’‘
The business forum aims to bring small and medium sized technology companies and start-ups together. The US web giant Google was also there.
Matt Brittin, Google’s Vice-President for Northern and Central Europe said: “We have seen that small businesses are taking a huge advantages of the Web and we have done some research that shows the Internet economy, in Europe, is already between 3% and 7% of GDP, depending on which country and it is already creating millions of jobs. “
Representing Portugal in Brussels was Amen, a company that manages Internet domains and supports companies who want to create web sites. Nuno Matias told euronews that the firm has witnessed remarkable growth and now has over 30 000 customers. In 2010 to 2011 the number of people using Amen grew by 30% while its turnover has seen a 6% percent rise.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news