The European Commission has said it wants to support e-commerce and online businesses more.
Latest studies show the Internet creates 2.6 jobs for every one it helps destroy.
Speaking at the ‘‘Single Market Opportunity 2012’‘ in Brussels, EU Industry Commissioner Antonio Tajani said: “If we want to win the battle against the economic crisis, it’s clear we must fight debt, but at the same time, it’s necessary to work towards growth. Company competitiveness is essential and at the heart of that is technology.’‘
The business forum aims to bring small and medium sized technology companies and start-ups together. The US web giant Google was also there.
Matt Brittin, Google’s Vice-President for Northern and Central Europe said: “We have seen that small businesses are taking a huge advantages of the Web and we have done some research that shows the Internet economy, in Europe, is already between 3% and 7% of GDP, depending on which country and it is already creating millions of jobs. “
Representing Portugal in Brussels was Amen, a company that manages Internet domains and supports companies who want to create web sites. Nuno Matias told euronews that the firm has witnessed remarkable growth and now has over 30 000 customers. In 2010 to 2011 the number of people using Amen grew by 30% while its turnover has seen a 6% percent rise.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 18Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech