The European Commission has said it wants to support e-commerce and online businesses more.
Latest studies show the Internet creates 2.6 jobs for every one it helps destroy.
Speaking at the ‘‘Single Market Opportunity 2012’‘ in Brussels, EU Industry Commissioner Antonio Tajani said: “If we want to win the battle against the economic crisis, it’s clear we must fight debt, but at the same time, it’s necessary to work towards growth. Company competitiveness is essential and at the heart of that is technology.’‘
The business forum aims to bring small and medium sized technology companies and start-ups together. The US web giant Google was also there.
Matt Brittin, Google’s Vice-President for Northern and Central Europe said: “We have seen that small businesses are taking a huge advantages of the Web and we have done some research that shows the Internet economy, in Europe, is already between 3% and 7% of GDP, depending on which country and it is already creating millions of jobs. “
Representing Portugal in Brussels was Amen, a company that manages Internet domains and supports companies who want to create web sites. Nuno Matias told euronews that the firm has witnessed remarkable growth and now has over 30 000 customers. In 2010 to 2011 the number of people using Amen grew by 30% while its turnover has seen a 6% percent rise.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21