Officially it is the last day of the Arab League observers’ mission to Syria. But this weekend its leader presents his report in Cairo, and it is expected the League will extend the mission for another four weeks.
Some successes were reported on Thursday, with a local truce getting a tank pullout from the town of Zabadani near the Lebanese border.
But overall there are no signs of a halt to the violence.
“The fate of the mission is to be decided by the administrative council. It’s not the mission itself that decides that. Just wait for 72 hours and you will have the answer,” said Jaafar Kadida.
There are doubts an extended mission will be any more effective at saving civilian lives. Armour has again been in action in the city of Homs, and observers in the streets have not stopped the Syrian army from killing hundreds since their arrival.
Sanctions and embargos appear ill-suited to bringing President Assad to talks, as neighbours Iraq and Lebanon say they will continue to trade with Damascus.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city