18/01/12 15:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Feminist activists braved freezing temperatures in Kyiv in a protest against a report that Indian authorities are to scrutinise Ukrainian visa applications as part of a crackdown on immigrant prostitution.
Members of the FEMEN group, who have gained international notoriety with their topless protests, scaled the balcony of the Indian Cultural Centre in Kyiv.
Activist Oleskandra Shevchenko said: “Ukrainian women are not prostitutes…we’ve been fighting this image. Shame on India for trying to insult us this way.” She also lashed out at Ukrainian leaders for what she said was their failure to respond to the Indian move.
The women also turned their anger on the residence of the Indian ambassador in the capital, striking the door with the pole from an Indian flag.
It has been reported that Indian consular officials have been told to screen visa applications from women aged between 15 and 40 from several eastern Euroepan countries.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Boris backs out – Gove goes for it – May may have it as race for number 10 gets underway
Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
UK: who are the Famous Five?
Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
Istanbul attack: suspects ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Wires > News
- 18:50 CET U.N. rights council creates role of expert to protect LGBT people
- 18:46 CET Canada confirms will give troops for eastern European NATO force
- 18:31 CET In Egypt, Sisi’s star fades as problems pile up
- 18:30 CET Verdict on Austrian far right’s challenge to election due Friday
- 18:25 CET EU says talks with Turkey on visa liberalisation ‘constructive’
- 18:18 CET Argentine corruption cops search properties of ex-leader Fernandez
- 17:57 CET Istanbul airport bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz – Turkish…
- 17:48 CET Armenia ratifies agreement on joint air-defence system with Russia