Italian rescuers have found five more dead bodies inside a capsized cruise liner off the Tuscany coast.
Officials had said earlier that 29 people were missing, including four crew members and 25 passengers.
The nationality of each of the five victims is as yet unknown.
Earlier today, rescue teams detonated explosive charges to reach previously inaccessible parts of the ship.
One crew member who made a dramatic escape was the ship’s chief purser, Manrico Gianpetroni, who gave an interview to Italian television. “I was trapped in the restaurant when it happened,” he said. “Firemen took me and brought me here.”
Gianpetroni, who reportedly fell when trying to help other passengers, said he spent nearly forty hours in freezing wet conditions before being rescued.
The vessel was carrying 4,200 people at the time of the accident, the vast majority of whom managed to flee the wreckage.
The captain of the ship is accused of manslaughter charges and appeared before magistrates for questioning earlier on Tuesday.
Prosecutors also accuse him of abandoning the ship before all the passengers had been evacuated.
He denies all the charges against him.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.