Now Reading:

Search resumes for Italy cruise liner missing

world news

Search resumes for Italy cruise liner missing


Rescuers resumed their search of the Costa Concordia off western Italy on Monday, after poor weather and the risk the wreck might be displaced forced the operation to be suspended for several hours.

At dawn the body of a sixth victim was located but remained unidentified as it could not be moved off the ship.

The company that operates the cruise liner that capsized after hitting the rocks has blamed the human error of its own captain.

The chief executive Pierluigi Foschi said he appeared to have diverged from the correct route and sailed too close to land.

“The procedure that has been put in place after the accident did not respect entirely the strict dispositions written in our official documents, nor the instructions given to our commanders,” he said.

The captain, Francesco Schettino, is in custody accused of multiple involuntary manslaughter and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew had been evacuated.

He denies wrongdoing, arguing the rocks were not on maritime maps and were not detected by the ship’s systems.

Sixteen people are still listed as missing.

Also Read- Cruise success poses a giant challenge

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article