Stephane Peterhansel celebrated his 10th Dakar Rally title on Sunday following the two-week race through Argentina, Chile and Peru.
The Dakar legend from France, who led for the majority of the race, made it to the beachfront finish line in Lima with a 41 minute and 56 second advantage over his closest rival and Mini team-mate Nani Roma of Spain.
47-year-old Peterhansel has now won the race four times in the car category and six on two wheels, two more bike titles than compatriot Cyril Despres who himself celebrated his fourth triumph in the motorcycle category.
Despres cruised to the Lima finish line in 10th place following the short final stage to easily beat his rival and 2011 champion Marc Coma of Spain.
The pair had fought for victory for the entire rally and between them won eight of the 14 stages.
Despres eventually captured his fourth title with a winning margin of 53 minutes and 20 seconds over Coma.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 20:54 CET Del Bosque wants more constructive criticism of Spain
- 20:48 CET Kane to start for England against Italy, says Hodgson
- 19:31 CET UEFA starts proceedings against Montenegro and Russia
- 19:07 CET Challandes quits as Armenia coach
- 18:42 CET Qatar 2022 World Cup may not need cooling systems
- 16:17 CET Pakistan name Azhar as one-day captain
- 15:08 CET Greaves inducted into Spurs Hall of Fame at last
- 14:57 CET Woods drops out of world’s top 100