Stephane Peterhansel celebrated his 10th Dakar Rally title on Sunday following the two-week race through Argentina, Chile and Peru.
The Dakar legend from France, who led for the majority of the race, made it to the beachfront finish line in Lima with a 41 minute and 56 second advantage over his closest rival and Mini team-mate Nani Roma of Spain.
47-year-old Peterhansel has now won the race four times in the car category and six on two wheels, two more bike titles than compatriot Cyril Despres who himself celebrated his fourth triumph in the motorcycle category.
Despres cruised to the Lima finish line in 10th place following the short final stage to easily beat his rival and 2011 champion Marc Coma of Spain.
The pair had fought for victory for the entire rally and between them won eight of the 14 stages.
Despres eventually captured his fourth title with a winning margin of 53 minutes and 20 seconds over Coma.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:07 CET West Indies add Deonarine to test squad in South Africa
- 06:00 CET Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- 04:59 CET Australia call up uncapped Burns for Boxing Day test
- 02:09 CET A defeat is never dignified, says San Lorenzo coach
- 01:25 CET Real Madrid beat San Lorenzo to lift Club World Cup
- 22:56 CET Barca well-placed and with room for improvement, says coach
- 21:48 CET Former bricklayer Austin is QPR’s hat-trick hero
- 19:13 CET PSG miss out on top spot after Montpellier draw