Stephane Peterhansel celebrated his 10th Dakar Rally title on Sunday following the two-week race through Argentina, Chile and Peru.
The Dakar legend from France, who led for the majority of the race, made it to the beachfront finish line in Lima with a 41 minute and 56 second advantage over his closest rival and Mini team-mate Nani Roma of Spain.
47-year-old Peterhansel has now won the race four times in the car category and six on two wheels, two more bike titles than compatriot Cyril Despres who himself celebrated his fourth triumph in the motorcycle category.
Despres cruised to the Lima finish line in 10th place following the short final stage to easily beat his rival and 2011 champion Marc Coma of Spain.
The pair had fought for victory for the entire rally and between them won eight of the 14 stages.
Despres eventually captured his fourth title with a winning margin of 53 minutes and 20 seconds over Coma.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 2Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 3Mountain bike: Polc wins Valparaiso downhill
- 4McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 5Fenninger turns up the heat with back-to-back wins in Bansko
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:07 CET CONMEBOL to back Blatter in FIFA election – source
- 23:05 CET Immobile double takes Dortmund past Dynamo in German Cup
- 22:40 CET England are not playing with fear, says Broad
- 22:10 CET Badminton lacks future ‘star’, says Indonesia’s Taufik
- 21:01 CET Barca’s Pique fined for abusing police over parking ticket
- 20:00 CET Referee East back in action after wrongful Brown dismissal
- 17:31 CET French lock Pape loses appeal against 10-week ban
- 17:19 CET UEFA to sell 46,000 Champions League final tickets to public