Stephane Peterhansel celebrated his 10th Dakar Rally title on Sunday following the two-week race through Argentina, Chile and Peru.
The Dakar legend from France, who led for the majority of the race, made it to the beachfront finish line in Lima with a 41 minute and 56 second advantage over his closest rival and Mini team-mate Nani Roma of Spain.
47-year-old Peterhansel has now won the race four times in the car category and six on two wheels, two more bike titles than compatriot Cyril Despres who himself celebrated his fourth triumph in the motorcycle category.
Despres cruised to the Lima finish line in 10th place following the short final stage to easily beat his rival and 2011 champion Marc Coma of Spain.
The pair had fought for victory for the entire rally and between them won eight of the 14 stages.
Despres eventually captured his fourth title with a winning margin of 53 minutes and 20 seconds over Coma.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 00:53 CET Britain’s Peaty sets 100 metres breaststroke world record
- 00:52 CET Cook satisfied with effort as England fall short
- 00:33 CET Ramsey not giving up on Arsenal double hopes just yet
- 00:21 CET Spieth fires 62, Merritt goes one better to lead
- 00:04 CET King of swing Anderson passes Botham’s record
- 23:34 CET Real surge clear as Barca are pegged back
- 22:23 CET Formula One publishes human rights commitment
- 22:09 CET Injury free season priority for Bolt