15/01/12 09:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
For Stephane Peterhansel in the cars section it will be his 10th overall, an absolute Dakar record.
He holds a near 43-minute lead over his nearest rival, and Sunday’s special stage is only 29 kilometres long. What could go wrong?
Mini teammate Nani Roma will take second confirming the superiority of the team over all comers this year.
In the motorbikes section Cyril Despres is heading towards his fourth Dakar victory barring disaster…but just ask Marc Coma about disasters. He messed up his navigation on Saturday and turned a more than one and a half minute lead into second place.
Only the toughest have got to the end of the 33rd Dakar rally: just 190 out of 443 competitors who began on New Years Day made it to the start on the penultimate day.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Federer withdraws from French Open
- 3European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 4Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 5European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
Wires > Sport
- 23:43 CET Northern Ireland extend unbeaten run with Belarus win
- 23:28 CET Rashford nets place in record books as England win
- 22:55 CET Euro-bound Ireland held to draw by late Dutch strike
- 22:16 CET Middlesbrough sign Danish winger Fischer
- 22:14 CET McEnroe to work with Canadian Raonic
- 22:02 CET Delay or move Rio Olympics due to Zika – medical experts
- 21:21 CET Czechs crush Malta as Rosicky shines on return
- 20:54 CET 2014 victory has not sated Real’s thirst for glory – Ramos