For Stephane Peterhansel in the cars section it will be his 10th overall, an absolute Dakar record.
He holds a near 43-minute lead over his nearest rival, and Sunday’s special stage is only 29 kilometres long. What could go wrong?
Mini teammate Nani Roma will take second confirming the superiority of the team over all comers this year.
In the motorbikes section Cyril Despres is heading towards his fourth Dakar victory barring disaster…but just ask Marc Coma about disasters. He messed up his navigation on Saturday and turned a more than one and a half minute lead into second place.
Only the toughest have got to the end of the 33rd Dakar rally: just 190 out of 443 competitors who began on New Years Day made it to the start on the penultimate day.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Sport
- 13:26 CET Boom to start Tour despite low cortisol levels
- 13:18 CET Australia’s Harris announces shock retirement
- 12:32 CET Pedal power rules the roads in Utrecht
- 12:29 CET Hamilton wraps up British practice with fastest lap
- 11:32 CET England bank on Bayliss to douse Australian fire
- 11:28 CET Highlanders beat Hurricanes to win first Super Rugby title
- 06:26 CET FIFA’s Webb charged in Cayman Island’s corruption case: media
- 04:42 CET USA pound hapless Guatemala 4-0 in friendly