For Stephane Peterhansel in the cars section it will be his 10th overall, an absolute Dakar record.
He holds a near 43-minute lead over his nearest rival, and Sunday’s special stage is only 29 kilometres long. What could go wrong?
Mini teammate Nani Roma will take second confirming the superiority of the team over all comers this year.
In the motorbikes section Cyril Despres is heading towards his fourth Dakar victory barring disaster…but just ask Marc Coma about disasters. He messed up his navigation on Saturday and turned a more than one and a half minute lead into second place.
Only the toughest have got to the end of the 33rd Dakar rally: just 190 out of 443 competitors who began on New Years Day made it to the start on the penultimate day.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 3Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 4Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 5Michel Platini’s plans for football rule changes get the euronews once-over
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 8Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 13:35 CET Hamburg file complaint against pitch invader
- 13:08 CET Under-fire Singapore retain Suzuki Cup hosting rights
- 12:58 CET Belgian club allows Meyiwa’s team mate to attend funeral
- 12:55 CET Rio faces fight to get back into QPR side, says Redknapp
- 12:20 CET Younus stays hot, Pakistan 158-2 at tea
- 10:51 CET Perea faces double major tournament disappointment
- 10:45 CET Isco keen to impress during Bale absence
- 10:24 CET China specialist Levy leads in wet Shanghai