France’s Stephane Peterhansel produced a superb display to clinch the 11th stage of the Dakar Rally as the prestigious offroad race made its Peru debut on Thursday.
The 46 year old, who is bidding for a tenth win, proved too strong for his opponents and eventually finished three minutes and 44 seconds ahead of main rival Nani Roma.
The Spaniard is now 24 minutes behind Peterhansel in the overall standings while America’s Robby Gordon is currently lying in third place.
Meanwhile, France’s Cyril Despres stretched his overall lead on Spain’s reigning champion Marc Coma after securing his fourth stage win.
The 37 year old completed the 478km trek from
Arica to Arequipa in just over four hours and three minutes, edging out Spain’s Gerard Farres while Coma eventually had to settle for third place.
- 1Sochi 2015: Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 3Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 4England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 5[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 20Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
Wires > Sport
- 17:44 CET Alonso commits to McLaren but more pain ahead
- 17:41 CET Scotland braced for game of their lives against Samoa
- 17:30 CET Blatter’s ship finally runs aground
- 17:15 CET Burger bows out on low note for Namibia
- 17:13 CET Klopp to sign as new Liverpool boss after agreeing terms – reports
- 17:09 CET Pakistan wary of England’s Ali as test series looms
- 15:57 CET Catt and Cipriani row a ‘non-story’, says Lancaster
- 15:38 CET Messi, father to appear in court on tax fraud charges