The US military is investigating a video showing what appears to be troops urinating on the dead bodies of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.
The footage of what seems to be US marines has been uploaded to several sites including videosharing site Youtube.
The film could be another blow for America after previous scandals like the abuses at Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 and the recent conviction of 11 soldiers for running what became known as a ‘kill squad’, murdering unarmed Afghan civilians.
A US Muslim civil rights group, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, has sent a letter to the US Defence Secretary demanding those on the video be punished under military law, under which it is an offence to despoil the corpses.
US authorities are already trying to verify the authenticity of the footage and identify the troops involved.
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 16:48 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 16:36 CET Big cats removed from Thailand’s infamous Tiger Temple
- 16:35 CET Brother of Paris attacker on trial over militant training
- 16:20 CET Bodies of U.S. climbers left on Tibetan peak out of respect
- 16:16 CET Mauritius ramps up security after gunshots fired on French embassy
- 15:53 CET Former Chad president Habre found guilty of crimes against humanity
- 15:49 CET Four people killed in flooding and storms in southwestern Germany