The US military is investigating a video showing what appears to be troops urinating on the dead bodies of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.
The footage of what seems to be US marines has been uploaded to several sites including videosharing site Youtube.
The film could be another blow for America after previous scandals like the abuses at Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 and the recent conviction of 11 soldiers for running what became known as a ‘kill squad’, murdering unarmed Afghan civilians.
A US Muslim civil rights group, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, has sent a letter to the US Defence Secretary demanding those on the video be punished under military law, under which it is an offence to despoil the corpses.
US authorities are already trying to verify the authenticity of the footage and identify the troops involved.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Israeli launches night time air strikes on Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 11:54 CET China’s war games don’t faze Japan but disrupt civilian air traffic
- 10:54 CET South Africa metals workers start returning to job after four-week…
- 10:47 CET Civilians killed in eastern Ukraine amid fierce fighting
- 10:22 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize Kurdish oil from tanker off Texas
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama