The US military is investigating a video showing what appears to be troops urinating on the dead bodies of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.
The footage of what seems to be US marines has been uploaded to several sites including videosharing site Youtube.
The film could be another blow for America after previous scandals like the abuses at Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 and the recent conviction of 11 soldiers for running what became known as a ‘kill squad’, murdering unarmed Afghan civilians.
A US Muslim civil rights group, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, has sent a letter to the US Defence Secretary demanding those on the video be punished under military law, under which it is an offence to despoil the corpses.
US authorities are already trying to verify the authenticity of the footage and identify the troops involved.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 15:18 CET South Sudan deploys army to guard U.N. base after attack kills…
- 14:49 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts