12/01/12 16:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The most popular comments on Vladimir Putin’s presidential campaign website are ones calling for him to quit politics.
Just three hours after launching, the top three remarks ask the Russian prime minister to resign and withdraw his candidacy for president.
However, another comment in the top five praised the prime minister, wishing him luck in the March election and calling him ‘the best person in the world’.
According to recent polls, Putin’s popularity has fallen sharply and it is not guaranteed he will win the poll in the first round.
Dissatisfaction with the parliamentary elections in December, after allegations of fraud, led to the biggest public protests in 20 years the same month.
Putin’s United Russia party has already seen its share of the vote fall to under 50 percent, and there is growing dissent against the former KGB agent’s plan to serve a third term in the top job.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Wires > News
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:51 CET Rescuers dig for trapped residents after Nairobi building collapse…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…