The most popular comments on Vladimir Putin’s presidential campaign website are ones calling for him to quit politics.
Just three hours after launching, the top three remarks ask the Russian prime minister to resign and withdraw his candidacy for president.
However, another comment in the top five praised the prime minister, wishing him luck in the March election and calling him ‘the best person in the world’.
According to recent polls, Putin’s popularity has fallen sharply and it is not guaranteed he will win the poll in the first round.
Dissatisfaction with the parliamentary elections in December, after allegations of fraud, led to the biggest public protests in 20 years the same month.
Putin’s United Russia party has already seen its share of the vote fall to under 50 percent, and there is growing dissent against the former KGB agent’s plan to serve a third term in the top job.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 01:17 CET Peru’s Humala replaces prime minister amid political scandal
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused
- 21:23 CET Boko Haram moves unopposed in strategic Nigerian town