Spaniard Joan Barreda steered his Husqvarna motorcycle to stage ten victory in the Dakar Rally on Wednesday denying Marc Coma and Cyril Despres yet another win in this year’s race.
Barreda, who is now 14th overall, ended the stage from Iquique to Arica one minute and 32 seconds ahead of defending champion Coma while Despres was another two minutes back in third.
Despres still leads the show but his advantage was trimmed by Coma to just 21 seconds.
Nani Roma of Spain picked up his third stage win this edition to climb into second place in the overall standings at the expense of American Hummer driver Robby Gordon, who came off the tracks and damaged the front left wing of his car costing him dearly.
Nine time Dakar winner Stephane Peterhansel came home second in his mini and remains the comfortable race leader 19 minutes ahead of his Mini team-mate Roma.
The rally now leaves Chile and heads to Peru for the final four stages.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 11:45 CET Nonu celebrates milestone as Hurricanes make playoffs
- 11:17 CET New Zealand’s Milne ruled out of England one-day series
- 11:15 CET Uruguayan hit with six-game ban for attacking opponent
- 10:32 CET Grosjean set for five place grid penalty
- 10:29 CET Indonesia hit with World Cup penalties by AFC
- 07:03 CET Canada, Australia grab Olympic sevens spots
- 03:29 CET Indy on edge after crash-filled run-up to 500
- 02:34 CET Lehman leads Montgomerie, Henninger by one at Senior PGA