Spaniard Joan Barreda steered his Husqvarna motorcycle to stage ten victory in the Dakar Rally on Wednesday denying Marc Coma and Cyril Despres yet another win in this year’s race.
Barreda, who is now 14th overall, ended the stage from Iquique to Arica one minute and 32 seconds ahead of defending champion Coma while Despres was another two minutes back in third.
Despres still leads the show but his advantage was trimmed by Coma to just 21 seconds.
Nani Roma of Spain picked up his third stage win this edition to climb into second place in the overall standings at the expense of American Hummer driver Robby Gordon, who came off the tracks and damaged the front left wing of his car costing him dearly.
Nine time Dakar winner Stephane Peterhansel came home second in his mini and remains the comfortable race leader 19 minutes ahead of his Mini team-mate Roma.
The rally now leaves Chile and heads to Peru for the final four stages.
- 1Bolt and Gatlin ready for 200 metre final at Beijing
- 2Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
- 3Double gold win for Japan at World Judo Championships
- 4IAAF Championships Beijing: Two Kenyan runners test positive for doping
- 5Flores wins in Tahiti five years after last major surf victory
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 5Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Why World Elephant Day matters
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
- 20Who are the six EU countries with shortest memories on migration?
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Vuelta a Espana: Chaves reclaims the overall race lead with stage six success
Trstenjak and Nagase win gold on day four of Judo World Championships
Bolt dominates 200m to complete the world championship sprint double
Wires > Sport
- 14:36 CET Robben replaces Van Persie as Netherlands captain
- 14:33 CET Neymar may make Barca return against Malaga – coach
- 14:29 CET Two more milestones for Mourinho
- 14:19 CET Americans Harper-Nelson, Harrison out of hurdles
- 14:03 CET Liverpool’s Can earns Germany call-up for Euro qualifiers
- 13:14 CET No more recruits for PSG, door ajar for Lavezzi
- 13:01 CET Sturridge back in training, Markovic set for exit
- 13:00 CET Leverkusen sign Slovenian Kampl as forward Son joins Tottenham