Spaniard Joan Barreda steered his Husqvarna motorcycle to stage ten victory in the Dakar Rally on Wednesday denying Marc Coma and Cyril Despres yet another win in this year’s race.
Barreda, who is now 14th overall, ended the stage from Iquique to Arica one minute and 32 seconds ahead of defending champion Coma while Despres was another two minutes back in third.
Despres still leads the show but his advantage was trimmed by Coma to just 21 seconds.
Nani Roma of Spain picked up his third stage win this edition to climb into second place in the overall standings at the expense of American Hummer driver Robby Gordon, who came off the tracks and damaged the front left wing of his car costing him dearly.
Nine time Dakar winner Stephane Peterhansel came home second in his mini and remains the comfortable race leader 19 minutes ahead of his Mini team-mate Roma.
The rally now leaves Chile and heads to Peru for the final four stages.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
Wires > Sport
- 17:56 CET Ronaldo wants Real Madrid to renew his contract
- 17:54 CET Another Neville set to leave Valencia
- 17:32 CET Mathieu calf injury adds to French defensive woes
- 17:18 CET Romanian clubs deducted points for breaching rules
- 17:08 CET First Indy 500 sellout brings security questions
- 16:59 CET Qatar cuts spending on new health facilities – official
- 16:55 CET Muguruza provides some stability in women’s draw
- 16:31 CET Haryanto has funding until 11th race, says manager