Spaniard Joan Barreda steered his Husqvarna motorcycle to stage ten victory in the Dakar Rally on Wednesday denying Marc Coma and Cyril Despres yet another win in this year’s race.
Barreda, who is now 14th overall, ended the stage from Iquique to Arica one minute and 32 seconds ahead of defending champion Coma while Despres was another two minutes back in third.
Despres still leads the show but his advantage was trimmed by Coma to just 21 seconds.
Nani Roma of Spain picked up his third stage win this edition to climb into second place in the overall standings at the expense of American Hummer driver Robby Gordon, who came off the tracks and damaged the front left wing of his car costing him dearly.
Nine time Dakar winner Stephane Peterhansel came home second in his mini and remains the comfortable race leader 19 minutes ahead of his Mini team-mate Roma.
The rally now leaves Chile and heads to Peru for the final four stages.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 04:22 CET Rio confident a year before Games but questions remain
- 01:22 CET Argentina’s Di Maria has medical ahead of PSG move
- 00:48 CET Mayweather returns to ring in September against Berto
- 00:20 CET Former Cardiff boss Solskjaer in talks with Toronto – agent
- 00:12 CET IAAF fights back against reports of widespread suspected doping
- 23:45 CET Brazilian senators to head to U.S., Switzerland, in football probe
- 23:38 CET Rapid Vienna knock out Ajax with dramatic win
- 23:35 CET Brazil politician proposes annual ‘Goal to Germany’ day