Cyril Despres regained control of the Dakar rally on Tuesday following his stage 9 triumph from Antofagasta to Iquique.
With his third stage win this year the French three-time winner of the race holds a two minute and 28 second advantage on his main rival Marc Coma.
Spain’s Coma, who took the lead on Monday, was second on the day three minutes and 54 seconds back but he remains well in contention to defend his title.
Defending car champion Nasser Al Attiyah was forced out of the race when the 31-year-old Qatari suffered more mechanical failure with his Hummer.
American Robby Gordon in another Hummer won the stage to nibble away at Stephane Peterhansel’s overall lead.
Dakar legend Peterhansel – a six-time motorbike and three-time car champion – holds an advantage of almost six minutes on Gordon, a NASCAR veteran, entering the final five days of the race
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 3Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 4‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 5UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:17 CET Arsenal’s injuries offer hope to Anderlecht
- 04:09 CET Turan shrugs off criticism of Atletico style
- 04:07 CET Liverpool expect fans to raise roof for Real visit
- 01:45 CET McIlroy pulls out of China swing to focus on legal battle- media
- 01:25 CET QPR striker Taarabt hits back at Redknapp over fitness
- 00:40 CET Ailing Nadal eases into Swiss Indoors second round
- 00:01 CET NZ Rugby Union cancel Maori All Blacks’ match in Singapore
- 21:54 CET Italy’s Serie A overseas TV rights awarded for 441 million pounds