Cyril Despres regained control of the Dakar rally on Tuesday following his stage 9 triumph from Antofagasta to Iquique.
With his third stage win this year the French three-time winner of the race holds a two minute and 28 second advantage on his main rival Marc Coma.
Spain’s Coma, who took the lead on Monday, was second on the day three minutes and 54 seconds back but he remains well in contention to defend his title.
Defending car champion Nasser Al Attiyah was forced out of the race when the 31-year-old Qatari suffered more mechanical failure with his Hummer.
American Robby Gordon in another Hummer won the stage to nibble away at Stephane Peterhansel’s overall lead.
Dakar legend Peterhansel – a six-time motorbike and three-time car champion – holds an advantage of almost six minutes on Gordon, a NASCAR veteran, entering the final five days of the race
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 22:19 CET Martinez to take over as Spain Davis Cup captain
- 21:29 CET Alonso ends miserable run with a point at last
- 19:46 CET Wiesberger wins in Paris after storm delay
- 15:53 CET French, German presidents tried to influence World Cup votes -…
- 15:26 CET I am teetotal to ward off depression, Flintoff says
- 15:19 CET Roberto Carlos joins Delhi team in Indian league
- 14:29 CET Argentina’s search for elusive final key continues
- 14:17 CET Williamses renew rivalry as little sister eyes Serena Slam