Cyril Despres regained control of the Dakar rally on Tuesday following his stage 9 triumph from Antofagasta to Iquique.
With his third stage win this year the French three-time winner of the race holds a two minute and 28 second advantage on his main rival Marc Coma.
Spain’s Coma, who took the lead on Monday, was second on the day three minutes and 54 seconds back but he remains well in contention to defend his title.
Defending car champion Nasser Al Attiyah was forced out of the race when the 31-year-old Qatari suffered more mechanical failure with his Hummer.
American Robby Gordon in another Hummer won the stage to nibble away at Stephane Peterhansel’s overall lead.
Dakar legend Peterhansel – a six-time motorbike and three-time car champion – holds an advantage of almost six minutes on Gordon, a NASCAR veteran, entering the final five days of the race
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Champions League: Holders Real Madrid get title defence off to winning start
- 2Euro2020: London and Munich go head to head for finals package
- 3Bayern Munich and Man City prepare for Champions League clash
- 4Historic day for Atletico in Madrid derby
- 5Born to run? How our genes affect our sporting talent
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:44 CET Brandao given six-month ban for Thiago Motta headbutt
- 00:22 CET Sevilla sparkle as Europa League returns with goal glut
- 23:17 CET Voigt sets new hour record
- 22:02 CET Red tape cleared for Saints’ Senegalese striker
- 21:59 CET UEFA rules doctors must decide in cases of concussion
- 21:02 CET Frustrated Alonso defends Ferrari brand and seeks unity
- 20:42 CET UEFA lifts ban on Israeli home fixtures
- 19:18 CET San Siro to host 2016 Champions League final