Cyril Despres regained control of the Dakar rally on Tuesday following his stage 9 triumph from Antofagasta to Iquique.
With his third stage win this year the French three-time winner of the race holds a two minute and 28 second advantage on his main rival Marc Coma.
Spain’s Coma, who took the lead on Monday, was second on the day three minutes and 54 seconds back but he remains well in contention to defend his title.
Defending car champion Nasser Al Attiyah was forced out of the race when the 31-year-old Qatari suffered more mechanical failure with his Hummer.
American Robby Gordon in another Hummer won the stage to nibble away at Stephane Peterhansel’s overall lead.
Dakar legend Peterhansel – a six-time motorbike and three-time car champion – holds an advantage of almost six minutes on Gordon, a NASCAR veteran, entering the final five days of the race
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 09:54 CET Vietnam sponsor suffers big losses on Man City fixture
- 09:51 CET ‘Football is not ballet,’ says Mihajlovic after De Jong tackle
- 09:32 CET Bayern’s Goetze unclear about future at champions
- 09:29 CET Chelsea’s Terry wants a long career like Giggs
- 09:00 CET Pearson clearing hurdles on long road back to top
- 07:42 CET Next gen Japan beaten again at Women’s East Asian Cup
- 07:20 CET ‘No truth’ to plagiarism claims – Tokyo 2020 logo designer
- 07:12 CET Adams may give up shot at world title defence – report