Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Japan complete team double on final day of Judo World Championships
Vuelta: Dumoulin wins Stage 9 for overall lead as Froome finishes second
World Athletics Championships: final day round-up
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Bolt celebrates triple triumph at world championships
Wires > Sport
- 19:48 CET Portugal defender Rolando joins Marseille
- 19:43 CET Morgan leads England to dramatic T20 win over Australia
- 19:32 CET Pirelli to reveal Vettel tyre conclusions at Monza
- 19:29 CET Leverkusen swoop for Man United striker Hernandez
- 19:11 CET Villarreal take forward Adrian on loan from Porto
- 19:06 CET Cayman Islands police looking into football association…
- 19:05 CET Italian Nesta appointed coach of new Miami club
- 18:38 CET Draxler leaves Schalke for Wolfsburg in record deal