Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:20 CET Holders Czech Republic beat France to reach Fed Cup final
- 14:14 CET Ecclestone gives Azerbaijan the all-clear
- 13:36 CET Overriding sense of relief as PSV end title drought
- 12:50 CET Toure being made Man City scapegoat, says agent
- 12:10 CET Master tactician Mourinho sets Chelsea apart
- 10:40 CET Injury crisis threatens Real’s trophy aspirations
- 09:41 CET Hughes’ bat, jerseys head to Mount Everest
- 06:24 CET Newly elected Indonesia FA chief vows to fight back