10/01/12 08:22 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 03:27 CET Toyota inks Paralympics sponsorship deal through 2024
- 01:30 CET Ronaldo calls on CBF president to resign
- 00:13 CET United draw leaves Champions League hopes in balance
- 23:55 CET Former boxing champ shot to death during robbery in Atlanta
- 23:53 CET Mandzukic answers critics to send Juve into last 16
- 23:22 CET Real take top spot by thwarting Shakhtar rally
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo