Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 13EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > Sport
- 09:15 CET New Zealand to vote for challenger Ali in FIFA election
- 08:59 CET Blatter seeks re-election as scandal engulfs FIFA
- 02:37 CET Bowditch charges two ahead at Byron Nelson
- 00:58 CET Ronchi set for NZ test debut amid Watling injury concern
- 23:34 CET FIA seeks new Formula One team from 2016
- 23:25 CET Uruguay union looks to get Suarez’s FIFA ban annulled
- 23:14 CET Misfiring McIlroy faces missing cut for second week running
- 20:32 CET Fowler upstages struggling McIlroy at Irish Open