Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 17:26 CET Arsenal enjoy revenue boost after ending trophyless run
- 16:51 CET Davis Cup final to be played in Lille – French federation
- 16:44 CET Radio ban delayed to ensure fairness for all, says FIA
- 15:56 CET Partizan blast fans for anti-semitic banner
- 15:47 CET New league will lift Indian football, says Del Piero
- 15:44 CET Masked Mandzukic to make Atletico return in 10 days
- 15:42 CET Three match ban for Assou-Ekotto over ‘quenelle’ message
- 15:24 CET Diversity, sporting power on show at Asiad opening