Stage eight of the Dakar Rally turned out to be a sticky affair for three-time winner Cyril Despres.
The Frenchman went into the day leading the race but 11 kilometres in he steered his bike into a knee-deep mud trap.
Although Despres escaped unscathed his little mud bath cost him almost 17 minutes.
But race officials did decide to deduct the time lost after changing the route when the seventh motorcycle got stuck.
Defending champion Marc Coma made no such mistake and avoided the mud pit to claim his 20th Dakar stage win.
With the victory Coma seized control of the overall lead, where he now holds a 1’26” advantage over Despres.
In the car category, it was also a Catalan who claimed the win in Antofagasta, Chile.
Nani Roma steered his mini to top honours.
The 2004 Dakar motorcycle champion beat American Robby Gordon by five seconds.
But Gordon gained over 5’30” on French Dakar legend Stéphane Peterhansel, whose overall lead has now been whittled down to 7’36”.
Stage nine is a 556 kilometre trek from Iqique to Arica in Chile
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 2Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 3François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 4Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 5Fans pay tribute to striker Ebosse
- 1Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 09:06 CET Nishikori works late to reach U.S. Open quarter-finals
- 04:37 CET Tennis-Azarenka overcomes qualifier Krunic to reach quarters
- 04:24 CET La Liga lure proves irresistible in window
- 04:10 CET Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders
- 03:23 CET Hull City sign loan deal with France midfielder Ben Arfa
- 03:16 CET Manchester United confirm Falcao one-year loan
- 03:03 CET Wawrinka beats Robredo to reach U.S. Open quarters
- 02:35 CET Arsenal sign Welbeck to long-term deal