09/01/12 22:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A survey in Germany has shown half the number of fresh chickens bought in shops in five cities were contaminated by germs resistant to antibiotics and could pose a danger to people with certain health issues.
The birds have been raised using intensive farming methods – keeping large numbers of animals in limited space – and that say Bund, the German Friends of the Earth group, is where the problem lies.
“The danger is that a transfer of the germs is possible while these chickens are being prepared. This might lead to some one absorbing the antibiotic-resistant bacteria and so exposing themselves and endangering their health,” explained Herbert Weiger, chairman of Bund the group which published the survey.
The results come as the government is preparing new laws to cut down on the use of antibiotics in livestock breeding.
“The toughening of the legal regulation aims to reduce the use of antibiotics to the absolute minimum necessary for the treatment of animal diseases and increase the competence of local authorities,” said Holger Eichele the spokesman for the ministry for consumer protection.
Bund admit that its survey was no more than a snapshot of the situation but underlined that every second chicken bought in a German supermarket is contaminated by antibiotic-resistant germs, evidence the groups says of continued abuse of antibiotics.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…