A survey in Germany has shown half the number of fresh chickens bought in shops in five cities were contaminated by germs resistant to antibiotics and could pose a danger to people with certain health issues.
The birds have been raised using intensive farming methods – keeping large numbers of animals in limited space – and that say Bund, the German Friends of the Earth group, is where the problem lies.
“The danger is that a transfer of the germs is possible while these chickens are being prepared. This might lead to some one absorbing the antibiotic-resistant bacteria and so exposing themselves and endangering their health,” explained Herbert Weiger, chairman of Bund the group which published the survey.
The results come as the government is preparing new laws to cut down on the use of antibiotics in livestock breeding.
“The toughening of the legal regulation aims to reduce the use of antibiotics to the absolute minimum necessary for the treatment of animal diseases and increase the competence of local authorities,” said Holger Eichele the spokesman for the ministry for consumer protection.
Bund admit that its survey was no more than a snapshot of the situation but underlined that every second chicken bought in a German supermarket is contaminated by antibiotic-resistant germs, evidence the groups says of continued abuse of antibiotics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine…
- 22:53 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up