A survey in Germany has shown half the number of fresh chickens bought in shops in five cities were contaminated by germs resistant to antibiotics and could pose a danger to people with certain health issues.
The birds have been raised using intensive farming methods – keeping large numbers of animals in limited space – and that say Bund, the German Friends of the Earth group, is where the problem lies.
“The danger is that a transfer of the germs is possible while these chickens are being prepared. This might lead to some one absorbing the antibiotic-resistant bacteria and so exposing themselves and endangering their health,” explained Herbert Weiger, chairman of Bund the group which published the survey.
The results come as the government is preparing new laws to cut down on the use of antibiotics in livestock breeding.
“The toughening of the legal regulation aims to reduce the use of antibiotics to the absolute minimum necessary for the treatment of animal diseases and increase the competence of local authorities,” said Holger Eichele the spokesman for the ministry for consumer protection.
Bund admit that its survey was no more than a snapshot of the situation but underlined that every second chicken bought in a German supermarket is contaminated by antibiotic-resistant germs, evidence the groups says of continued abuse of antibiotics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:12 CET Iohannis promises corruption crackdown as new Romanian president
- 15:10 CET Iran nuclear diplomat gets key post as head of foreign oil deals
- 14:54 CET U.S.-led forces launch 13 air strikes in Iraq, three in Syria
- 14:52 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete
- 14:19 CET Obama says Putin presiding over economic contraction – …
- 14:12 CET Egypt allows in travellers from Gaza for first time since October
- 14:06 CET Obama vows “do everything I can” to close Guantanamo – …
- 13:39 CET Lebanon says it needs French helicopters quickly to fight jihadis