A survey in Germany has shown half the number of fresh chickens bought in shops in five cities were contaminated by germs resistant to antibiotics and could pose a danger to people with certain health issues.
The birds have been raised using intensive farming methods – keeping large numbers of animals in limited space – and that say Bund, the German Friends of the Earth group, is where the problem lies.
“The danger is that a transfer of the germs is possible while these chickens are being prepared. This might lead to some one absorbing the antibiotic-resistant bacteria and so exposing themselves and endangering their health,” explained Herbert Weiger, chairman of Bund the group which published the survey.
The results come as the government is preparing new laws to cut down on the use of antibiotics in livestock breeding.
“The toughening of the legal regulation aims to reduce the use of antibiotics to the absolute minimum necessary for the treatment of animal diseases and increase the competence of local authorities,” said Holger Eichele the spokesman for the ministry for consumer protection.
Bund admit that its survey was no more than a snapshot of the situation but underlined that every second chicken bought in a German supermarket is contaminated by antibiotic-resistant germs, evidence the groups says of continued abuse of antibiotics.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:14 CET Car bomb kills 11 in Shi’ite Baghdad neighbourhood- police, medics
- 18:09 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can’t be allowed to reach…
- 17:38 CET Austria says Eurofighter has part problem, some deliveries halted
- 17:20 CET EU-Russia gas duel deepens with Slovakia supply cut
- 17:16 CET Nazi hunters seek German probe of WW2 death squad suspects
- 17:11 CET Experts question two-day delay in admitting Texas Ebola patient
- 17:10 CET World Bank chief says Ebola outbreak shows harm of inequality
- 16:47 CET France defies EU partners with ‘no austerity’ budget