Four hundred and twenty three kilometres of tracks and river beds between Chilecito and Fiambala, that was the test in the fifth stage of the Dakar Rally. For overall leader on two wheels Cyril Despres it presented little difficulty as he sealed a career 28th Dakar stage victory.
On his tail, team mate Marc Coma who was just over one and a half minutes behind Despres and now lies almost ten minutes off the pace in second spot. The two are dominating these early days with third placed rider Helder Rodriques over 45 minutes adrift of the two.
There was a first stage win for Krzystof Holowcyz in his mini. The Polish driver completed the 153 kilometre special stage in just over two hours and 10 minutes, edging his victory by just a minute over Robby Gordon and almost four minutes ahead of the overall leader Peterhansel.
The 45-year-old Frenchman who is hoping for a record 10th victory in the worlds most challenging rally heads the standings by just over four minutes with minis holding the top three places. Four of the five iconic cars competing have already won a stage.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 22:44 CET Berlusconi says still looking for an investor in AC Milan
- 22:23 CET Hull go down, Newcastle survive on final day of drama
- 22:17 CET Montoya back in Indy 500 Victory Lane
- 20:59 CET Verstappen handed five place penalty for Canada
- 19:48 CET Cancer survivor Gutierrez stars as Newcastle beat drop
- 19:30 CET Colourful Federer’s mood darkened despite easy win
- 19:03 CET Embattled Ashley will not walk away from Newcastle
- 18:42 CET Heerenveen and Vitesse set up Europa League playoff final