Four hundred and twenty three kilometres of tracks and river beds between Chilecito and Fiambala, that was the test in the fifth stage of the Dakar Rally. For overall leader on two wheels Cyril Despres it presented little difficulty as he sealed a career 28th Dakar stage victory.
On his tail, team mate Marc Coma who was just over one and a half minutes behind Despres and now lies almost ten minutes off the pace in second spot. The two are dominating these early days with third placed rider Helder Rodriques over 45 minutes adrift of the two.
There was a first stage win for Krzystof Holowcyz in his mini. The Polish driver completed the 153 kilometre special stage in just over two hours and 10 minutes, edging his victory by just a minute over Robby Gordon and almost four minutes ahead of the overall leader Peterhansel.
The 45-year-old Frenchman who is hoping for a record 10th victory in the worlds most challenging rally heads the standings by just over four minutes with minis holding the top three places. Four of the five iconic cars competing have already won a stage.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 01:44 CET Real Madrid agree deal to buy Porto defender Danilo
- 01:41 CET Ko’s consistency a major topic at Mission Hills
- 01:35 CET Webb, Tseng not ready to concede spotlight to new breed
- 00:24 CET Second-string Portugal suffer home defeat to Cape Verde
- 00:00 CET Townsend earns late draw against Italy
- 23:33 CET Wasps’ Hughes banned for Champions Cup quarter-final
- 23:31 CET Netherlands haunt Spain with 2-0 friendly win
- 22:18 CET US Olympic Committee says committed to Boston bid for 2024 Games