Cyril Despres was all smiles on Tuesday after winning stage three of the Dakar Rally.
But it was a double victory for France’s three-time champion as with the stage win he also earned the overall race lead.
The 37-year-old holds an overall lead of 10 minuntes 12 seconds over main rival and defending champion Marc Coma of Spain.
It was a dreadful day for Coma who had gone into the 270 kilometre stage from San Rafael to San Juan nearly three minutes ahead of his team-mate.
But the Spaniard suffered a major navigational error to finish 13 minutes behind off the pace.
Mixed fortunes for the mini contingency in the car category – Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc took the overall lead as team-mate Nani Roma won the stage to climb to fourth in the standings.
Holowczyc was 1 minute and 9 seconds slower than Roma but it was enough to move him into the top spot
Mini’s Stephane Peterhansel, who was leading the show before the stage suffered two punctures and dropped over six minutes to Roma leaving the nine time winner fifth overall.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 21:10 CET Homegrown Monfils feels no extra French Open pressure
- 21:00 CET Dramatic derby win sends Roma into Champions League
- 20:11 CET Nervy Murray through to second round
- 19:40 CET Coric leads teenage assault on Roland Garros
- 19:30 CET McClaren sacked as head coach by Derby Country
- 18:58 CET Coughing Sharapova canters into French Open second round
- 18:10 CET Early goals seal Norwich’s win in playoff final
- 18:08 CET Arrivabene responds to Ecclestone criticism