Cyril Despres was all smiles on Tuesday after winning stage three of the Dakar Rally.
But it was a double victory for France’s three-time champion as with the stage win he also earned the overall race lead.
The 37-year-old holds an overall lead of 10 minuntes 12 seconds over main rival and defending champion Marc Coma of Spain.
It was a dreadful day for Coma who had gone into the 270 kilometre stage from San Rafael to San Juan nearly three minutes ahead of his team-mate.
But the Spaniard suffered a major navigational error to finish 13 minutes behind off the pace.
Mixed fortunes for the mini contingency in the car category – Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc took the overall lead as team-mate Nani Roma won the stage to climb to fourth in the standings.
Holowczyc was 1 minute and 9 seconds slower than Roma but it was enough to move him into the top spot
Mini’s Stephane Peterhansel, who was leading the show before the stage suffered two punctures and dropped over six minutes to Roma leaving the nine time winner fifth overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:23 CET Ulissi suspended again after positive Giro test
- 19:18 CET Spain coach Orenga steps down after World Cup flop
- 17:52 CET Hamburg sack coach Slomka after poor start
- 17:48 CET Judge Eckert warns FIFA following Garcia investigation
- 17:28 CET Bayern’s Ribery out against City, Robben doubtful
- 17:25 CET R&A set to allow women members after 260 years
- 17:22 CET Norway’s Northug faces lifetime driving ban
- 17:09 CET Zidane could be interested in France coaching job