Cyril Despres was all smiles on Tuesday after winning stage three of the Dakar Rally.
But it was a double victory for France’s three-time champion as with the stage win he also earned the overall race lead.
The 37-year-old holds an overall lead of 10 minuntes 12 seconds over main rival and defending champion Marc Coma of Spain.
It was a dreadful day for Coma who had gone into the 270 kilometre stage from San Rafael to San Juan nearly three minutes ahead of his team-mate.
But the Spaniard suffered a major navigational error to finish 13 minutes behind off the pace.
Mixed fortunes for the mini contingency in the car category – Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc took the overall lead as team-mate Nani Roma won the stage to climb to fourth in the standings.
Holowczyc was 1 minute and 9 seconds slower than Roma but it was enough to move him into the top spot
Mini’s Stephane Peterhansel, who was leading the show before the stage suffered two punctures and dropped over six minutes to Roma leaving the nine time winner fifth overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 10Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 16Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 17Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:11 CET South Africa’s De Kock in doubt for World Cup
- 13:28 CET Analysis – Cook dismissal better late than never for England
- 13:26 CET Mancini positive Inter can finish third
- 12:00 CET Carrick replaces Fletcher as Man United vice-captain
- 10:09 CET Magic Johnson inspires Australia to second test win
- 00:06 CET Kenya’s marathon queen Jeptoo fails second doping test
- 22:27 CET Hughes tragedy overshadows eventful year
- 22:08 CET U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken…