Cyril Despres was all smiles on Tuesday after winning stage three of the Dakar Rally.
But it was a double victory for France’s three-time champion as with the stage win he also earned the overall race lead.
The 37-year-old holds an overall lead of 10 minuntes 12 seconds over main rival and defending champion Marc Coma of Spain.
It was a dreadful day for Coma who had gone into the 270 kilometre stage from San Rafael to San Juan nearly three minutes ahead of his team-mate.
But the Spaniard suffered a major navigational error to finish 13 minutes behind off the pace.
Mixed fortunes for the mini contingency in the car category – Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc took the overall lead as team-mate Nani Roma won the stage to climb to fourth in the standings.
Holowczyc was 1 minute and 9 seconds slower than Roma but it was enough to move him into the top spot
Mini’s Stephane Peterhansel, who was leading the show before the stage suffered two punctures and dropped over six minutes to Roma leaving the nine time winner fifth overall.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 02:32 CET McIlroy plans Saturday practice at Whistling Straits
- 20:26 CET Mihajlovic sets top-three target for Milan
- 20:12 CET Hosszu retains 200 metres IM title as records tumble
- 19:29 CET Juventus’s new signing Khedira ruled out for two months
- 18:01 CET American Danielson suspended after positive test
- 17:33 CET Leicester sign Frenchmen Kante and Benalouane
- 16:58 CET West Ham’s Valencia out for up to 12 weeks
- 16:13 CET Rio water quality on agenda as IOC leaves for Brazil