Cyril Despres was all smiles on Tuesday after winning stage three of the Dakar Rally.
But it was a double victory for France’s three-time champion as with the stage win he also earned the overall race lead.
The 37-year-old holds an overall lead of 10 minuntes 12 seconds over main rival and defending champion Marc Coma of Spain.
It was a dreadful day for Coma who had gone into the 270 kilometre stage from San Rafael to San Juan nearly three minutes ahead of his team-mate.
But the Spaniard suffered a major navigational error to finish 13 minutes behind off the pace.
Mixed fortunes for the mini contingency in the car category – Poland’s Krzysztof Holowczyc took the overall lead as team-mate Nani Roma won the stage to climb to fourth in the standings.
Holowczyc was 1 minute and 9 seconds slower than Roma but it was enough to move him into the top spot
Mini’s Stephane Peterhansel, who was leading the show before the stage suffered two punctures and dropped over six minutes to Roma leaving the nine time winner fifth overall.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 15:52 CET Manchester United moves a step closer to new digital strategy
- 15:36 CET Hamilton to pick up speed at super-fast Monza
- 15:00 CET I support salary cap, draft system says Germany’s Bierhoff
- 14:37 CET West Brom’s Berahino given time off to consider future
- 14:29 CET Everton’s Cleverley suffers ligament damage
- 14:22 CET Ibrahimovic happy in Paris despite Milan interest
- 14:02 CET Argentina’s Leguizamon signs up for Super Rugby
- 13:49 CET Costa keen to repay Spain coach’s faith with goals