The turn of the year is a time to remember those sportsmen who we held so high in our affections and who passed away.
The world of ice hockey was left stunned after 27 players of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team, two coaches and seven club officials perished when a private jet crashed during take off in western Russia.
Severiano Ballesteros, Seve to his fans, one of the world’s most gifted and charismatic golfers, who made so many seemingly impossible shot look easy, died at 54 after a protracted battle with cancer.
His engaging personality ignited golf courses around the world. The five times major winner was a champion on the course and of the people.
Joe Frazier will forever be remembered for his epic trilogy of fights with Muhammad Ali in the 1970s.
By the time he died aged 67, the third of those contests the – the ‘Thrilla in Manilla’ – had come to be regarded as the best fight of all time.
He lost it to Ali who recalled later, “If God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier fighting beside me.”
Marco Simoncelli was on the verge of dominating the sport of Moto GP when he crashed during the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Italian who had won the 250cc World Championship in 2008 only stepped up to compete in Moto GP in 2010. He was just 24-years-of-age.
One week earlier motor sports fans had been stunned when British driver Dan Wheldon died in an horrific 15 car pile up in the Las Vegas Indy 300.
The British driver who as a young hopeful had raced against former Formula One champion Jenson Button in go-karts.
The 33-year-old won the Indy Car championship for the first time in 2005.
The world of football was lost for words on news of the apparent suicide of Gary Speed at 42. He had graced some of the top English clubs, only two other players had made more appearances in the Premier League than the Welsh midfielder. He had recently taken up the post of manager of his country.
Socrates was a legend in Brazil and beyond. He was the idol of the 1982 World Cup, easily recognisable as the bearded 6ft 4in midfielder who was often described as a genius. He died aged 57.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330 | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 20Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
Wires > Sport
- 17:07 CET Wembley should be saved for FA Cup final, says Rodgers
- 16:49 CET India captain Dhoni demands more from all-rounder Jadeja
- 16:34 CET King and his consortium win control of Rangers
- 16:32 CET Champions League titles show I am no soft touch, says Ancelotti
- 16:22 CET Djokovic praises Serb fans for applauding Croatia anthem
- 16:14 CET Independent Commission report to be published on Monday – UCI
- 15:57 CET Inzaghi refuses to blame injuries for Milan’s troubles
- 15:36 CET Snow joke as daring Saints hit the icy pistes