The turn of the year is a time to remember those sportsmen who we held so high in our affections and who passed away.
The world of ice hockey was left stunned after 27 players of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team, two coaches and seven club officials perished when a private jet crashed during take off in western Russia.
Severiano Ballesteros, Seve to his fans, one of the world’s most gifted and charismatic golfers, who made so many seemingly impossible shot look easy, died at 54 after a protracted battle with cancer.
His engaging personality ignited golf courses around the world. The five times major winner was a champion on the course and of the people.
Joe Frazier will forever be remembered for his epic trilogy of fights with Muhammad Ali in the 1970s.
By the time he died aged 67, the third of those contests the – the ‘Thrilla in Manilla’ – had come to be regarded as the best fight of all time.
He lost it to Ali who recalled later, “If God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier fighting beside me.”
Marco Simoncelli was on the verge of dominating the sport of Moto GP when he crashed during the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Italian who had won the 250cc World Championship in 2008 only stepped up to compete in Moto GP in 2010. He was just 24-years-of-age.
One week earlier motor sports fans had been stunned when British driver Dan Wheldon died in an horrific 15 car pile up in the Las Vegas Indy 300.
The British driver who as a young hopeful had raced against former Formula One champion Jenson Button in go-karts.
The 33-year-old won the Indy Car championship for the first time in 2005.
The world of football was lost for words on news of the apparent suicide of Gary Speed at 42. He had graced some of the top English clubs, only two other players had made more appearances in the Premier League than the Welsh midfielder. He had recently taken up the post of manager of his country.
Socrates was a legend in Brazil and beyond. He was the idol of the 1982 World Cup, easily recognisable as the bearded 6ft 4in midfielder who was often described as a genius. He died aged 57.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > Sport
- 18:51 CET Norwich make Dorrans move permanent
- 18:48 CET Newcomers Bournemouth sign second goalkeeper Federici
- 18:16 CET Give England 2018 World Cup, urges Lennart Johansson
- 17:37 CET World football rocked as top officials held in U.S., Swiss graft…
- 16:27 CET Analysis – Undeterred by arrests, football boss Blatter plots…
- 15:52 CET No criminal proceedings against Lanka officials in sex bribe
- 15:08 CET Olympic champ Park allowed back in pool from Monday
- 14:56 CET Stosur swagger returns after reuniting with coach