The turn of the year is a time to remember those sportsmen who we held so high in our affections and who passed away.
The world of ice hockey was left stunned after 27 players of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team, two coaches and seven club officials perished when a private jet crashed during take off in western Russia.
Severiano Ballesteros, Seve to his fans, one of the world’s most gifted and charismatic golfers, who made so many seemingly impossible shot look easy, died at 54 after a protracted battle with cancer.
His engaging personality ignited golf courses around the world. The five times major winner was a champion on the course and of the people.
Joe Frazier will forever be remembered for his epic trilogy of fights with Muhammad Ali in the 1970s.
By the time he died aged 67, the third of those contests the – the ‘Thrilla in Manilla’ – had come to be regarded as the best fight of all time.
He lost it to Ali who recalled later, “If God ever calls me to a holy war, I want Joe Frazier fighting beside me.”
Marco Simoncelli was on the verge of dominating the sport of Moto GP when he crashed during the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Italian who had won the 250cc World Championship in 2008 only stepped up to compete in Moto GP in 2010. He was just 24-years-of-age.
One week earlier motor sports fans had been stunned when British driver Dan Wheldon died in an horrific 15 car pile up in the Las Vegas Indy 300.
The British driver who as a young hopeful had raced against former Formula One champion Jenson Button in go-karts.
The 33-year-old won the Indy Car championship for the first time in 2005.
The world of football was lost for words on news of the apparent suicide of Gary Speed at 42. He had graced some of the top English clubs, only two other players had made more appearances in the Premier League than the Welsh midfielder. He had recently taken up the post of manager of his country.
Socrates was a legend in Brazil and beyond. He was the idol of the 1982 World Cup, easily recognisable as the bearded 6ft 4in midfielder who was often described as a genius. He died aged 57.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 13:43 CET Independent panels lack consistency, says Mourinho
- 13:33 CET Afridi to retire from ODIs after World Cup
- 12:48 CET Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalised with pneumonia
- 12:06 CET Australia captain Smith fined for slow over rate
- 09:24 CET Perth go six points clear after City win Melbourne derby
- 09:13 CET No way back for Pietersen despite Cook sacking
- 07:07 CET West Indies add Deonarine to test squad in South Africa
- 04:59 CET Australia call up uncapped Burns for Boxing Day test