Berlin’s annual goose race is no wild goose chase. The aim couldn’t be clearer – to burn Christmas calories!
Goose roast is the traditional December 25 dish for German families. And, as a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips, the best course of action is to get running. The race organiser even dressed as Santa Claus for the occasion!
“During Christmas, you eat a lot, Christmas cookies and so on,” said Marika Nehring, one of the around 280 people taking part. “So you need to do something to look after your figure.”
“After 5 kilometres, I feel great,” added fellow runner Bernd Hubner. “And after the goose roast, it is really relaxing and fun. I know just about everyone here.”
Some of the runners only meet up once a year at the 10 kilometre long festive runaround.
And their reward for getting to the end? A tasty treat which might not be so good for the waistline – sandwiches spread with goose fat!
- 1UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 4Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 5UK landlords face crackdown over illegal migrant tenants
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule