Berlin’s annual goose race is no wild goose chase. The aim couldn’t be clearer – to burn Christmas calories!
Goose roast is the traditional December 25 dish for German families. And, as a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips, the best course of action is to get running. The race organiser even dressed as Santa Claus for the occasion!
“During Christmas, you eat a lot, Christmas cookies and so on,” said Marika Nehring, one of the around 280 people taking part. “So you need to do something to look after your figure.”
“After 5 kilometres, I feel great,” added fellow runner Bernd Hubner. “And after the goose roast, it is really relaxing and fun. I know just about everyone here.”
Some of the runners only meet up once a year at the 10 kilometre long festive runaround.
And their reward for getting to the end? A tasty treat which might not be so good for the waistline – sandwiches spread with goose fat!
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5UK vote for Brexit sees PM David Cameron jump before he’s pushed
Latest world news
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Obama stands by ‘back of queue’ warning on post-Brexit UK trade deal
Scotland, London and teenagers speak out against Brexit
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Spain’s politicians discuss Brexit in final day of general election campaigning
Wires > News
- 11:24 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 10:46 CET China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- 09:17 CET Thousands rally in Australia for same-sex marriage
- 03:28 CET China media snidely criticise Brexit vote, but upbeat on UK ties
- 03:19 CET Three Mexican federal police gunned down in market
- 23:34 CET Could Brexit vote be a preview of U.S. presidential race?
- 22:21 CET Venezuela dialogue could open way for international help – …
- 22:04 CET Turkey warns of rising European xenophobia after Brexit vote