Berlin’s annual goose race is no wild goose chase. The aim couldn’t be clearer – to burn Christmas calories!
Goose roast is the traditional December 25 dish for German families. And, as a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips, the best course of action is to get running. The race organiser even dressed as Santa Claus for the occasion!
“During Christmas, you eat a lot, Christmas cookies and so on,” said Marika Nehring, one of the around 280 people taking part. “So you need to do something to look after your figure.”
“After 5 kilometres, I feel great,” added fellow runner Bernd Hubner. “And after the goose roast, it is really relaxing and fun. I know just about everyone here.”
Some of the runners only meet up once a year at the 10 kilometre long festive runaround.
And their reward for getting to the end? A tasty treat which might not be so good for the waistline – sandwiches spread with goose fat!
Latest world news
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Wires > News
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…
- 21:47 CET Puerto Rico faces default as governor plans to address island
- 21:30 CET Yemen officials say peace talks suspended after Houthis seize base
- 21:28 CET Bergdahl defense can access classified information, court rules
- 21:16 CET Eyeing an Indiana victory, Trump says, ‘It’s over’
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees
- 21:07 CET Cash-flush California GOP allows chairman to seek third term