Parts from Friday’s failed Russian satellite launch have landed on a remote Siberian village.
Fragments of the Meridian communications satellite crashed back to earth, by coincidence landing on a road named Cosmonaut Street.
Some parts caused the roof of a house at Vagaitsevo in the region of Novosibirsk to cave in.
Russia’s space programme has had a disastrous year. Three rockets have failed to reach orbit in the last 12 months.
Space officials say a brain drain following the fall of the Soviet Union is still being felt today.
“The space programme is in crisis and the lack of specialists is our main problem,” said Vladimir Popovkin, Head of the Russian Space Agency.
He told euronews: “A lot of young scientists emigrated in the nineties. Therefore, we do not have as many top space experts aged around 30-40 years old today.”
Meanwhile, one recent Russian rocket launch has been successful. A Soyuz spacecraft carrying three astronauts arrived at the International Space Station last week, bringing the orbital outpost back to a full headcount.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
Christie and Fiorina pull out of Republican race
London’s Black Cabs protest against Uber
Jailed Spanish puppeteers freed after “glorifying terrorism”
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns patience will run out on Syria
- 11:12 CET Any NATO refugee mission would go after smugglers, U.S.‘s Carter…
- 10:54 CET Auschwitz guard, 94, stands trial in Germany
- 10:51 CET Insight – Nigeria faces new rift over alleged Shi’ite massacre
- 10:41 CET North Korea says South’s pulling out of industrial zone…
- 10:10 CET Indian soldier found alive after six days buried under avalanche…
- 09:53 CET French left-winger Melenchon to run for presidency in upset for…
- 09:40 CET Netherlands to form 300-strong border guard for international…