The world’s best athletes of the Alpine World Cup circuit took part in an extraordinary Giant Slalom race; the Alpine Rock Fest at the Paganella ski resort near Andalo, Italy.
The 2006 Olympic gold medallist Ted Ligety found his ideal line, and positioned himself perfectly along the slalom, to cross the finish line with a time of 34.72 seconds. This was good enough for victory and the 60,000 euro cash prize just in time for Christmas.
In second was Italian Alpine Racer, Giovanni Borsotti, who also got off to a flying start and weaved his way flawlessly through the course with poise and precision. But despite his best efforts he failed to beat the American, falling into second place by an excruciating one hundredth of a second.
In third place came French skiing champion Cyprien Richard. The World Alpine Rock Fest Champion from 2009, looked on track to possibly claim another victory, but a slight mistake on one of the jumps proved costly, bringing him in in a time of 34.72 seconds.
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Horror crash mars Tour de France as Britain’s Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > Sport
- 20:49 CET Tennis-Cocktail of talent helps Muguruza reach semis
- 20:04 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 18:58 CET Wimbledon’s famous strawberries now come…as mush
- 17:49 CET Italy’s Balotelli given compassionate leave by Liverpool
- 17:21 CET De Villiers rested for ODI series in Bangladesh
- 16:54 CET British Open likely to flourish even if McIlroy sits it out
- 13:52 CET Ferrer a surprise inclusion for Russia tie
- 13:38 CET Leie shines on debut, South Africa clinch T20 series in Dhaka