The world’s best athletes of the Alpine World Cup circuit took part in an extraordinary Giant Slalom race; the Alpine Rock Fest at the Paganella ski resort near Andalo, Italy.
The 2006 Olympic gold medallist Ted Ligety found his ideal line, and positioned himself perfectly along the slalom, to cross the finish line with a time of 34.72 seconds. This was good enough for victory and the 60,000 euro cash prize just in time for Christmas.
In second was Italian Alpine Racer, Giovanni Borsotti, who also got off to a flying start and weaved his way flawlessly through the course with poise and precision. But despite his best efforts he failed to beat the American, falling into second place by an excruciating one hundredth of a second.
In third place came French skiing champion Cyprien Richard. The World Alpine Rock Fest Champion from 2009, looked on track to possibly claim another victory, but a slight mistake on one of the jumps proved costly, bringing him in in a time of 34.72 seconds.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 00:45 CET Rio de Janeiro beefs up security with Olympics a year away
- 00:21 CET No deal done to back Platini says CONCACAF powerbroker
- 00:13 CET Zico’s FIFA bid gets lukewarm backing from CBF
- 23:51 CET Oliver suffers Diamond Race setback, Fraser-Pryce wins
- 23:48 CET Gomez joins Besiktas on loan after injury-hit Fiore spell
- 21:24 CET Finn’s five wickets put England on brink of victory
- 20:35 CET I never thought I’d take 400 test wickets, says Steyn
- 20:08 CET Napoli sign Romania defender Chiriches from Spurs