21/12/11 11:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Japan has admitted it will take up to 40 years to fully decommission the disaster-hit Fukushima nuclear plant.
The government has unveiled a long-term road-map for the huge and costly clean-up. It comes after last week’s announcement that the crippled compound had, at last, been stabilised, reaching a state of cold shutdown.
Telling reporters that decommissioning would take 30 to 40 years, Trade Minister Yukio Edano said that safety at the plant would be ensured. The timescale, should not, he added, have a direct bearing on when evacuees will be allowed home.
Nine months ago, Fukushima was hit by the world’s worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl. Meltdowns, radiation leaks and mass evacuations all followed the disaster, triggered by a big earthquake and a towering tsunami.
Around 80,000 people were evacuated from within a 20 kilometre radius of the plant soon afterwards.
But some of them may be allowed back as early as next spring now that the cold shutdown has been declared.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 3Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
Migrant rescue from capsized boat is caught on camera
Paris attacks survivor slams Eagles of Death Metal frontman for Muslim conspiracy comments
Iraqi units advance on ISIL-held Fallujah
Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
Wires > News
- 10:25 CET Egypt investigator says French specialist vessel to join black box…
- 10:04 CET New Philippine president to face early test over food security
- 09:57 CET Nigerian civil rights leader confirms attack at Chevron oil…
- 09:48 CET On eve of Greece visit, Putin says problems with EU can be solved
- 09:37 CET EU states approve plans to coordinate key mobile spectrum
- 09:35 CET South Korea’s Park facing last chance to push through reforms…
- 09:00 CET French strikers seek to tighten grip on energy supplies
- 08:48 CET Italian marine Girone can head home – India’s top court