North Korean state media has released a still photograph of what is believed to have been Kim Jong-il’s last public appearance before he died.
He is seen on a supermarket escalator, with his son and future successor Kim Jong-un among those behind him.
Today the escalator they travelled down has been turned into a shrine.
“I can’t imagine how happy it would make us and our fellow citizens if he could ride on this escalator again,” said one woman, amid a group of mourners, weeping around the moving staircase. “I still feel that he is alive, with his bright smile. I can also hear his voice.”
It is uncertain when Kim Jong-il visited the supermarket in Pyongyang. But what does seem sure is that the escalator he rode on will now have a hallowed place in North Korean history.
Latest world news
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Wires > News
- 19:08 CET German official denies report on foreign policy shift on Israel
- 18:52 CET Police fire tear gas, detain 200, in Istanbul May Day scuffles
- 18:33 CET Saudi Arabia kills two militant suspects in southwest, arrests…
- 17:57 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 17:49 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 17:47 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 16:59 CET Donald Trump says Republican race all but over if he wins Indiana
- 16:04 CET Foreign minister reaffirms Japan’s economic ties to Thailand