Authorities in Bethlehem hope UNESCO’s recent admission of Palestine will enable them to list the church on the site of Jesus’ traditional birthplace as a world heritage site.
The Church of the Nativity is one of the holiest places in Christendom, and pilgrims come from all over the world to visit it. The focal point is a 14 pointed silver star which marks the place where, according to the Bible, Jesus was born.
Officials say the roof is in particular need of repair, its centuries old brittle wooden beams pose a danger to visitors, and leaks have already ruined many of the priceless mosaics and paintings.
The church, which was originally built in 327 AD, has not seen any major renovations for over half a century, mostly due to conflict in the region. In 2008 it was placed on the Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites by the World Monuments Fund.
The cost of new repairs is estimated to be around 10 million euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 08:14 CET Japan needs to send officials to North Korea on abduction issue -…
- 08:08 CET Japan PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:33 CET Indonesia’s Joko Widodo sworn in as president
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98
- 04:18 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…