Authorities in Bethlehem hope UNESCO’s recent admission of Palestine will enable them to list the church on the site of Jesus’ traditional birthplace as a world heritage site.
The Church of the Nativity is one of the holiest places in Christendom, and pilgrims come from all over the world to visit it. The focal point is a 14 pointed silver star which marks the place where, according to the Bible, Jesus was born.
Officials say the roof is in particular need of repair, its centuries old brittle wooden beams pose a danger to visitors, and leaks have already ruined many of the priceless mosaics and paintings.
The church, which was originally built in 327 AD, has not seen any major renovations for over half a century, mostly due to conflict in the region. In 2008 it was placed on the Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites by the World Monuments Fund.
The cost of new repairs is estimated to be around 10 million euros.
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
- 5German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Wildfire forces US town to evacuate as ‘Rocky’ rages on
Iran nuclear deal: Obama and Netanyahu make competing appeals to US Jews
Hiroshima 70 years on: Survivors remember horror of nuclear bomb
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
Wires > News
- 14:21 CET Don’t treat divorced Catholics as outcasts, Pope tells priests
- 14:20 CET China says has stopped reclamation work in South China Sea
- 14:19 CET Russia’s Lavrov criticises Obama over missile shield plans
- 14:17 CET Syrian Islamist group says had been in talks with Iran
- 14:14 CET Danish government plans referendum on EU defence opt-out
- 14:06 CET Malaysia’s anti-graft unit to ask Najib to explain 2.6 billion…
- 13:50 CET President-elect says Poland should be part of Ukraine peace talks…
- 13:48 CET Poll shows Spain set for unpredictable political autumn