After three straight days and nights of clashes between protesters and soldiers in the Egyptian capital Cairo, the death toll is now at least 10 and hundreds of people have been wounded.
Although the number of protesters has not matched the mass crowds that brought down Hosni Mubarak in February, the apparent heavy-handedness of the army has shocked many Egyptians – divided between those who accuse the army of trying to hang onto power and those who believe it’s ensuring the transition to democracy.
One protester showed journalists real bullets he said had been fired by the army at the crowd.
As emergency services tended the wounded, Egypt’s election commission said turnout for the second phase of the country’s parliamentary ballot on Wednesday and Thursday had been 67 per cent.
Once again the Islamist parties appear to have emerged the winners. The third and final phase of voting will be held next month.