A boat carrying asylum seekers sunk off Indonesia’s East Java province on Sunday, leaving more than 200 people missing, presumed dead.
The overcrowded boat capsized in rough seas 30 from the coast.
Survivors said they were fleeing persecution in their home countries.
“We were about 250 passengers, from Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, some from Turkey and some from Saudi Arabia. We were supposed to go from Indonesia, from Jakarta to Australia,” one male passenger told reporters.
Indonesian authorities have given conflicting accounts of the number of people missing and the possible casualty toll.
Police said that at least 33 asylum seekers had been rescued from the water.
But rescue workers said there were 380 passengers onboard the boat and that as many as 76 had been saved.
Indonesia is often a transit point for migrants in search of a better life in Australia.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 00:01 CET Taiwan city looks at developer’s other buildings after quake…
- 23:44 CET South Korea cuts off power, water into Kaesong zone in North Korea
- 23:33 CET Uncertainty at Syria talks as Russia backs government advance
- 23:20 CET U.S. blacklists prominent Islamic State preacher, two others
- 22:37 CET Einstein’s gravitational waves detected in landmark discovery
- 22:22 CET No plans at this time for joint U.S.-India navy patrols – State…
- 21:37 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 21:21 CET France’s Hollande reshuffles cabinet with eye on 2017 election