It was exactly one year ago today when a 26-year-old Tunisian street vendor in the town of Sidi Bouzid set himself on fire after police confiscated his unlicensed fruit and vegetable cart.
Mohamed Bouazizi, an unemployed university graduate, died in hospital over two weeks later.
His death unleashed angry protests against President Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali – anger that had built up during his 23-year authoritarian rule.
The protests spread across the country and Ben Ali eventually fled to Saudi Arabia on January 14.
Elections to choose the make up of a new constituent assembly saw the moderate Islamist party Ennahda win the most seats.
Tunisia’s new president, Moncef Marzouki, was sworn in as head of state earlier this week.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 09:45 CET Thailand’s first MERS case to leave hospital
- 08:51 CET Malaysia PM slams corruption report; says part of political…
- 06:49 CET Three dead as 6.4 earthquake hits China’s Xinjiang
- 06:07 CET Death toll from capsized Philippine ferry rises to 41, divers halt…
- 03:59 CET Egyptian army kills 35 militants in North Sinai – sources
- 03:26 CET Colombia capital on edge after two small explosions
- 01:32 CET Forced labour shows back-breaking lack of reform in Myanmar…
- 01:09 CET Syria rejects U.N. criticism of barrel bombs, says ‘technical‘…