Another child abuse scandal has hit the Catholic Church – this time in the Nertherlands.
Two of the church’s organisations gave an independent commission the task of investigating incidents ranging from touching to rape within the Dutch church between 1945 and 2010. The church’s response to these matters was also examined.
Chairman of the investigating committee, Wim Deetman said there was a large amount of victims: “The number of children under the age of 18 that were sexually abused while spending part of their lives in a catholic orphanage or boarding school in the Netherlands is between 10,000-20,000.”
Findings from the commission detailing cover-ups by authorities have lead to the Dutch church offering a ‘heartfelt apology’ for the way previous abuse was handled.
Bishop Wim Eijk was at the press conference expressing his regret: “The offenders are not the only ones to blame. The authorities are also at fault. They didn’t act properly. They didn’t take care of the victims or give priority to the victims’ interests.”
With the number of abused children possibly as high as 20,000, abuse within the Catholic Church in the Netherlands appears to be more widespread than highly-publicised cases in Ireland, Germany and the United States.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 23:09 CET Ethiopia hands lengthy prison terms to Muslim activists
- 23:05 CET In North Korean grassroots capitalism, ticks and grasshoppers skip
- 22:54 CET Libya investigates video of guards beating jailed Gaddafi son
- 21:50 CET Catalonia leader calls election framed as vote on independence
- 21:49 CET Burundian activist shot amid violence tied to contested…
- 21:35 CET Obama issues challenge on climate change with power plant rule
- 21:19 CET Special Report – U.S. State Department watered down human…
- 21:08 CET Italy arrests 11 in search for Sicilian mafia boss of bosses