A political storm has broken out in Ukraine after a video showing jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko surfaced on social networking sites after being aired on television channels.
Tymoshenko is seen lying in her prison bed angrily protesting over being filmed against her will.
The video clip was one of two aired with the apparent aim of showing the charasmatic politician being well-treated and living in good conditions.
“Obviously they are humiliating Tymoshenko all the time during her stay in prison,” said
Segiy Vlasenko from Tymoshenko’s Defence Team.
“They do not give medical treatment, they are filming her in who knows what angles in some specially prepared set.”
Supporters of the former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko clashed with security forces at the start of her appeal hearing on Tuesday.
Her imprisonment in October for abuse of office has damaged relations between Ukraine and the EU, which is trying to save an agreement for a new strategic relationship with Ukraine.
Tymoshenko has accused President Viktor Yanukovichof for pursuing a vendetta against her.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 02:57 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least two dead
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 00:12 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…
- 23:49 CET Guinea journalist killed in clashes between opposition factions
- 23:19 CET U.S., Britain eye letting spy agencies, police seek email, chat…