A political storm has broken out in Ukraine after a video showing jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko surfaced on social networking sites after being aired on television channels.
Tymoshenko is seen lying in her prison bed angrily protesting over being filmed against her will.
The video clip was one of two aired with the apparent aim of showing the charasmatic politician being well-treated and living in good conditions.
“Obviously they are humiliating Tymoshenko all the time during her stay in prison,” said
Segiy Vlasenko from Tymoshenko’s Defence Team.
“They do not give medical treatment, they are filming her in who knows what angles in some specially prepared set.”
Supporters of the former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko clashed with security forces at the start of her appeal hearing on Tuesday.
Her imprisonment in October for abuse of office has damaged relations between Ukraine and the EU, which is trying to save an agreement for a new strategic relationship with Ukraine.
Tymoshenko has accused President Viktor Yanukovichof for pursuing a vendetta against her.
Latest world news
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Brexit campaign is told to focus on immigration
Iran votes in second round of parliamentary elections
Syria: Aleppo hit again as death toll from earlier hospital attack ‘rises to 50’
Wires > News
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 23:04 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital
- 22:41 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norwegian coast, 13 presumed dead
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…
- 20:10 CET U.N. says in principle open to helping in Iran-U.S. assets dispute