At least 160 people have now died from toxic alcohol poisoning in the Indian state of West Bengal. Another 200 people are still being treated by doctors after drinking bootleg liquor.
Traces of methanol had been found in at least twenty victims. Many suffered from vomiting and complained of chest and abdominal pains.
Bootleggers sell the illegal alcohol to poor, daily-wage workers for as little as 20 cents a bottle. Police have so far arrested 13 people.
Two years ago, 130 people died in the western state of Gujarat in a similar incident. Last week, the state made the illegal production and sale of toxic alcohol punishable by death.