Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 8Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 15Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 16How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 17EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:56 CET France thrash Germany to win European under-17 title
- 21:27 CET New Zealand make toothless England toil
- 20:26 CET Larger tyres are future of F1, says Michelin boss
- 20:06 CET Pakistan beat Zimbabwe for emotional victory on home soil
- 20:04 CET Ecclestone moots new ‘customer car’ concept
- 20:01 CET Pakistan ends six-year wait, hosts Zimbabwe in international
- 18:53 CET F1 season is no write-off for Renault
- 18:01 CET Lies will be exposed on court, says honest Nadal