Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1European Handball Championships: Germany to face Spain in final
- 2Formula One: Renault present car and team for 2016
- 3American duo Cartica and Pizzi win 2016 World Marathon Challenge
- 4‘‘I was born to race’‘ – 15-time motorcycle world champion Giacomo Agostini
- 5Guardiola signs three-year contract to manage Manchester City
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 14:49 CET Willett wins Dubai Desert Classic
- 14:38 CET Dutch stun Russia to reach Fed Cup semi-finals
- 14:05 CET Leicester can emulate Forest’s 1978 triumph, says O’Neill
- 13:04 CET Pakistan’s Shah banned for three months for doping offence
- 12:51 CET Vunipola the bedrock of Jones’ new England
- 12:33 CET Mourinho says he will be back soon
- 10:45 CET All Blacks edge Australia at the death to win inaugural Sydney…
- 06:32 CET Santner a doubt for final ODI against Australia