Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 00:57 CET PGA president fired for ‘insensitive’ remarks
- 00:18 CET Caterham F1 team set to miss next two races
- 23:13 CET Coric stuns Nadal in Basel, Federer through
- 21:57 CET Players weigh in on Bishop-Poulter spat
- 21:22 CET Italian football in danger of dying, says Juve president
- 20:55 CET Ex-world champion Mulaudzi killed in car crash
- 19:50 CET European clubs consider April/May for 2022 World Cup
- 19:27 CET Wenger affords a smile as he remembers Battle of the Buffet