Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 3Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
Wires > Sport
- 13:13 CET Tyson lands knockout blow against professionals at Rio
- 13:09 CET Halep keeps her wits to reach round three
- 12:50 CET Arsenal agree deal for Switzerland midfielder Xhaka
- 11:51 CET Frank de Boer keen on Everton job, says brother Ronald
- 11:49 CET Guidolin hoping Ayew stays at Swansea
- 11:47 CET Xavi backs Guardiola to succeed at Man City
- 11:18 CET Baldwin wants redemption for Wales against England
- 10:07 CET Tokyo 2020 payments probe team established