Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 18:16 CET Dutchman Van Poppel recovers from puncture to win stage
- 18:02 CET Atapattu quits as Sri Lanka coach
- 16:47 CET Son spurs Laos rout; Hong Kong hold China
- 16:46 CET FIFA reform committee strong on platitudes, short on detail
- 16:42 CET Australia thrash Bangladesh 5-0 in World Cup qualifier
- 16:23 CET Arsenal’s Welbeck out for months following knee surgery
- 15:50 CET Bayern to donate funds, set up migrants’ training camp
- 15:33 CET Zebo at fullback again for Ireland against England