Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 2Champions League: Ronaldo scores a brace as Real Madrid down Malmö
- 3Button joins 300 club with another year at McLaren
- 4Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 5Ronaldo equals Real Madrid’s scoring record
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2‘Golden Bolt’, 105, sets new sprint record
- 3Champions League day two match preview
- 4Sagan makes history and gives Slovakia its first cycling World Champion
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales defeat hosts England 28-25 in thrilling clash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 18Stay in Turkey, Hungary’s Orban tells Syrian refugees
- 19Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 20Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
Wires > Sport
- 01:45 CET Analysis – England outclassed in every department
- 23:05 CET Analysis – You’re not special any more, Mourinho is told
- 23:03 CET Mourinho tells Chelsea they can sack him but he’s not quitting
- 22:00 CET Dane Olesen holds lead at Dunhill Links Championship
- 20:26 CET Simple equation for England: lose to Australia and you’re out
- 20:11 CET Japan have made a nation proud, says coach Jones
- 20:04 CET Lacazette on target as Lyon beat Reims
- 19:53 CET Sherwood says Villa players are not fit enough