Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 8Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 12NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 15Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 03:01 CET Armitage banned for 12 weeks after abusive rant
- 02:04 CET Sitting at the top table with Argentine Speroni
- 01:32 CET All Black Carter to join French club after World Cup
- 00:44 CET Wallabies Ashley-Cooper, Horwill hopping to Europe
- 23:48 CET Allegri ban overturned
- 23:16 CET Bolt against changes to athletics programme
- 22:26 CET FIFA ethics investigator Garcia resigns in protest
- 22:19 CET Tyson Gay’s former coach suspended eight years