Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20US-Iranian reporter to be freed or pardoned ‘in less than a month’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:16 CET Iniesta back in training before Sevilla clash
- 19:15 CET Captain Creevy returns as Pumas make four changes versus France
- 18:37 CET Stevens gets his F1 chance with Caterham
- 18:35 CET Ebola-ravaged Guinea overcome odds to reach Nations Cup
- 17:29 CET Brandao’s six-month ban confirmed after appeal fails
- 16:51 CET Dortmund’s Reus fit to face Paderborn, Hummels doubtful
- 16:41 CET Pressure? No pressure, says Hamilton
- 16:16 CET Speight to make Australia debut against Ireland