Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
- 1Cancellara in yellow Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 3Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 4Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
- 5Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 08:38 CET Cummins ready to take the red ball after Ashes call-up
- 08:04 CET Women’s World Cup offers hope amid FIFA crisis
- 07:07 CET Wambach coy on international future after World Cup win
- 06:01 CET Hat-trick hero Lloyd dreams big and wins World Cup
- 05:56 CET Optimism returns for Woods after rare bogey-free round
- 05:25 CET U.S. triumph caps truly global Women’s World Cup
- 04:24 CET Lloyd hat-trick inspires U.S. World Cup victory
- 03:50 CET FIFA officials booed before World Cup trophy ceremony