Revisiting a dark period of crime and punishment: a licence plate is among the items vaunting the capture in Argentina more than 50 years ago of Adolf Eichmann, to face trial for his role in the Holocaust. The show pieces of the Mossad secret service have gone on display at the Israeli parliament in Jerusalem.
It is a glimpse into how one of the world’s most feared Nazis was hunted down. Few of them ever stood in a criminal court. Israel’s tribunal at the time said universal jurisdiction applied in the genocide against the Jews, as a crime under international law.
Neomi Izhar, historian for the exhibition, said: “This exhibition is very unique because this is the first time the Mossad, the Israeli Mossad, opens its archive and shows the tools, means and documents that were part of the capture of Eichmann.”
There are the gloves that grabbed the SS Obersturmbannfuhrer officer in Buenos Aires, now an employee of the Mercedes-Benz car factory, the keys of his home, the false passport used to smuggle him out. The operation raised questions of international law but left no doubt about Israel’s determination.
Rafi Eitan, who was head of the operation to capture Eichmann, said: “In the exhibition you can see how with primitive, very primitive equipment we could have done an operation like this. Today without cellular (phones), without computers without satellites, GPS, we are not able to make something like this.”
Born into a middle-class Protestant family, Adolf Eichmann rose to become the supreme organiser of the Jews’ murder by the Third Reich.
Among the first to be told of its “Final Solution”, he proved able in logistics, ensuring transportation and killing capacities — both in the camps and by mobile units.
At the end of World War Two, he evaded allied internment and booked passage for Argentina.
Neither the US nor Germany acted on knowledge he was there, sensitive that they had both recruited other former Nazis.
Eichmann’s capture took the world by storm. By widely broadcast live television, from the trial’s bulletproof dock, it heard him claim he had obeyed his orders without thinking, though he did not dispute the facts. Many surviving victims testified.
He was hanged in 1962, the only man Israel ever sentenced for execution.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Israeli forces kill knife-wielding Palestinian youth – police
- 16:16 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 15:51 CET Moscow to investigate amid struggle over Chechen authority
- 15:40 CET Tribunal tells Ghana to stop oil work in Ivory Coast dispute
- 15:24 CET Insurgents seize Syrian strategic town of Jisr al-Shughour, army…
- 15:23 CET Thousands gather at dawn ceremony to mark Gallipoli centenary
- 15:17 CET Three Islamic State car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing…
- 15:04 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…