Revisiting a dark period of crime and punishment: a licence plate is among the items vaunting the capture in Argentina more than 50 years ago of Adolf Eichmann, to face trial for his role in the Holocaust. The show pieces of the Mossad secret service have gone on display at the Israeli parliament in Jerusalem.
It is a glimpse into how one of the world’s most feared Nazis was hunted down. Few of them ever stood in a criminal court. Israel’s tribunal at the time said universal jurisdiction applied in the genocide against the Jews, as a crime under international law.
Neomi Izhar, historian for the exhibition, said: “This exhibition is very unique because this is the first time the Mossad, the Israeli Mossad, opens its archive and shows the tools, means and documents that were part of the capture of Eichmann.”
There are the gloves that grabbed the SS Obersturmbannfuhrer officer in Buenos Aires, now an employee of the Mercedes-Benz car factory, the keys of his home, the false passport used to smuggle him out. The operation raised questions of international law but left no doubt about Israel’s determination.
Rafi Eitan, who was head of the operation to capture Eichmann, said: “In the exhibition you can see how with primitive, very primitive equipment we could have done an operation like this. Today without cellular (phones), without computers without satellites, GPS, we are not able to make something like this.”
Born into a middle-class Protestant family, Adolf Eichmann rose to become the supreme organiser of the Jews’ murder by the Third Reich.
Among the first to be told of its “Final Solution”, he proved able in logistics, ensuring transportation and killing capacities — both in the camps and by mobile units.
At the end of World War Two, he evaded allied internment and booked passage for Argentina.
Neither the US nor Germany acted on knowledge he was there, sensitive that they had both recruited other former Nazis.
Eichmann’s capture took the world by storm. By widely broadcast live television, from the trial’s bulletproof dock, it heard him claim he had obeyed his orders without thinking, though he did not dispute the facts. Many surviving victims testified.
He was hanged in 1962, the only man Israel ever sentenced for execution.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 17:15 CET Bomb kills dozens in north Nigeria, gunmen open fire on crowd
- 17:13 CET Pakistan kills leader of anti-Shi’ite militants in southwest
- 17:10 CET U.S. only training 60 Syrian fighters, far below expectations
- 17:00 CET Sponsors of Colombian peace talks worry over escalation of war
- 16:38 CET Cartoonist cyber-bullied as Greek politics turn sour
- 15:49 CET Turning 18, Malala says she’ll remain ‘voice of children’
- 15:11 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 15:09 CET Brazil’s Rousseff tells paper she is uncowed by opposition calls…