A new fiscal treaty with stricter budget rules will be in place by mid-2012, according to the European Council’s president.
Herman Van Rompuy says the first draft may even be ready by next week: “I’m optimistic because I know it’s going to be close to 27. In fact 26 leaders indicated their interest in these efforts. They recognised the euro is a common good. Then by early March at the latest, this fiscal compact treaty will be signed. The aim is for the ESM treaty to be ratified by mid 2012.”
The devil may yet emerge from the details of the treaty but the 17 eurozone members are nonetheless committed. Nine others will seek parliamentary approval while Britain has ruled out any deeper fiscal integration.
Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron refused to sign up after he was unable to win special treatment for London’s financial services industry, which accounts for 10 percent of the country’s GDP.
Despite last week’s agreement in Brussels, the response from the markets has been lukewarm with some investors disappointed the European Central Bank has not taken more steps to tackle euro zone debt.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…