A special police squad in Germany has arrested another person in connection with a neo-Nazi terror cell.
A 36-year-old man was detained in the eastern state of Saxony on suspicion of assisting members of the group in several murders. Three other flats in the area have also been searched.
Investigators believe the cell – which called itself the “Nationalist Socialist Underground” – has killed nine Turkish and Greek immigrants and a policewoman since the year 2000.
Police recovered numerous weapons from an apartment they say was being used by the NSU. Several other people suspected of having links to the group are already in custody.
The case has renewed debate about banning the far-right National Democratic Party. Although the NPD has condemned the murders it has been described by Germany’s intelligence service as racist and anti-semitic.
But German media claims there are more than 130 informants in the party whose cover could be exposed if the NPD were to be outlawed.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Destination Indiana in the presidential primary trail
Leicester City write their own fairytale
Wires > News
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…
- 06:02 CET Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin…
- 05:47 CET Murders drop sharply in El Salvador in April, police say
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…