A high profile anti-Kremlin activist has been arrested for taking part in a protest against alleged fraud in Russia’s general election. Supporters of Alexei Navalny maintained a vigil outside the police station where he and other campaigners are facing up to 15 days in jail over charges of refusing to obey police orders.
His lawyer branded the detention illegal: “Every citizen has the right to assistance from his lawyer from the moment he’s arrested. The detention happened between 8.30 and 9pm yesterday evening. I haven’t been allowed to see him since,” said Vadim Obsev.
Organisers said Monday’s demonstration in Moscow was the biggest opposition rally in the capital for many years. Navalny and others were reportedly arrested after speakers called for the protestors to march to the Kremlin.
Navalny is a well-known blogger who campaigns against corruption in the government. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party won the election, but its opponents say the outcome was rigged. The White House has joined international observers in expressing concern about the ballot.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Brazil convicts Odebrecht Group for slavery-like practices in…
- 03:13 CET Obama pushes for more U.S. ice-breaking might in Arctic
- 03:02 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.
- 03:00 CET At least five dead from Monday’s chemical plant blast in China -…
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …