A high profile anti-Kremlin activist has been arrested for taking part in a protest against alleged fraud in Russia’s general election. Supporters of Alexei Navalny maintained a vigil outside the police station where he and other campaigners are facing up to 15 days in jail over charges of refusing to obey police orders.
His lawyer branded the detention illegal: “Every citizen has the right to assistance from his lawyer from the moment he’s arrested. The detention happened between 8.30 and 9pm yesterday evening. I haven’t been allowed to see him since,” said Vadim Obsev.
Organisers said Monday’s demonstration in Moscow was the biggest opposition rally in the capital for many years. Navalny and others were reportedly arrested after speakers called for the protestors to march to the Kremlin.
Navalny is a well-known blogger who campaigns against corruption in the government. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party won the election, but its opponents say the outcome was rigged. The White House has joined international observers in expressing concern about the ballot.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 11Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:09 CET Five Ukrainian soldiers killed ahead of Minsk talks – Ukraine…
- 13:06 CET India’s Bollywood star Salman Khan gets five years for hit-and-run
- 12:51 CET Aid agencies may stop Yemen work, Houthis say raids near border…
- 12:48 CET Germanwings pilot rehearsed crash on outbound flight-investigators
- 12:36 CET Pakistan seizes three tonnes of hashish bound for Middle East…
- 12:23 CET Somali Islamists kill government official, bomb AU convoy
- 12:19 CET Philippines, Japan coast guards hold anti-piracy drills
- 12:13 CET Several badly hurt in Austrian train crash – police