BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

"The Islamist party cannot rule without applying democracy", Amira Yahyaoui

Now Reading:

"The Islamist party cannot rule without applying democracy", Amira Yahyaoui

Text size Aa Aa

Young Tunisian activist Amira Yahyaoui describes her mission as a “battle for democracy” and has a clear vision of what she wants Tunisian society to look like after the success of the first elections of a post-Ben Ali era. She describes herself as “strangely happy” at how the vote went, and says that while 40 percent of voters opted for the Islamist Ennahda party, the other 60 percent chose moderate parties. In Egypt, nearly 10 months on from the fall of Hosni Mubarak, the military is still in control of the country and young Egyptians are back in the streets to protest. For Amira Yahyaoui. that is a positive sign: Egyptians are no longer prepared to accept a regime, whether it be led by the army or a dictator.

To follow Amira Yahyaoui on Twitter : @mirar404