Now Reading:

One man dies in Chernobyl cuts protest

world news

One man dies in Chernobyl cuts protest


One person died in overnight protests in Ukraine on Sunday held by Chernobyl workers over planned cuts to their compensation benefits.

The government says it can no longer afford the welfare program agreed 25 years ago.

Survivors of the world’s worst ever nuclear disaster have been on hunger strike for two weeks

Police removed their tent encampment in the eastern city of Donetsk after a court ruled it illegal last week.

The man who died has been named as 70-year-old Gennady Konoplyov. He died on the way to hospital after the raid.

Chernobyl clean-up workers receive a mix of welfare payments, tax cuts and discounts on government services.

The proposed changes form part of a wider austerity drive by Ukraine to unlock an agreed IMF loan worth eleven billion euros.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article