Egypt’s ruling military council on Thursday apologised for the deaths of protesters in clashes earlier this week.
In a message posted on its Facebook page, the council said it “expressed its condolences for the families of the martyrs across the country”.
The unrest is entering its sixth day. At least forty people have been killed.
Demonstrators want a quicker handover to civilian rule.
“We expected everything would be implemented two months after the revolution in February, but up until now we have seen no answers to our demands,” said Mohammed Hasaneen, a protester in Cairo’s Tahrir Square. “It’s almost one year since people lost their lives to call for change and yet there are no results for their revolution.”
When the military took over from Hosni Mubarak in February, it aimed to hand over to an elected government within six months.
But the expansion of emergency laws and the prospect of a delayed presidential poll aroused suspicions about its intentions.
Demonstrators believe the military wants to protect its own economic and political interests. They want it to surrender power at once.
Parliamentary elections are scheduled to place on Monday, while presidential elections are now set to be held at the end of June.