Actor Hugh Grant has told an inquiry into UK media ethics that his phone may have been hacked by a tabloid newspaper, not owned by Rupert Murdoch.
Giving evidence in London, he said he believes Britain’s Mail on Sunday accessed his voicemails before publishing a story in 2007 about his love life.
“I cannot, for the life of me, think of any conceivable source for this story in the Mail on Sunday except those voice messages on my mobile telephone,” he told the Leveson inquiry.
The parents of murdered British teenager Milly Dowler, whose phone was hacked after she went missing, have also been giving evidence.
Sally Dowler described how she was given false hope, when she got through to her daughter’s previously full voicemail.
She also recalled the couple’s shock when the News of the World tabloid published a photo of them privately retracing Milly’s last steps.
“How on earth did they know we were doing that walk on that day and it just felt like such an intrusion into a really, really private grief moment truely,” Sally Dowler told the inquiry.